cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Clean out savings to make it to 20%?

tag
sdchrgrboy
Contributor

Re: Clean out savings to make it to 20%?

@StartingOver10 wrote:

If you put down 10% rather than 3.5% on an FHA loan, then the MIP only lasts for 11 years rather than the life of the loan. But you have to put at least 10% down and nothing less. Ask your LO about this option.

The refi at a later date assumes the market is rising and that when you refi, your new loan is 80% of less of the new value. This doesn't always happen or sometimes it takes longer to happen than you planned.  Also, if the interest rate is higher, it may not be beneficial. There are lots of "ifs" in this scenario. 

That's not necessarily true.  Current MIP for FHA is life of the loan.  You can eventually ask for it to be removed but you need to meet certain conditons and you may not meet them in 11 years.  It all depends on the the value of the home and the area you live in. Plus they take the value of the  purchase price, not current appraised value.  I am in San Diego and my house went up close to $200k in value in the last 4 years. I would bet that a house in Indiana or Missouri (no disrespect to Indiana or Missouri) for example wouldn't do the same.  But even so. paying MIP for 11 years. I personally would have end of paying an additional $44k. Like I mentioned, it is tax deductible, but that may change, It was exteded to included 2015 and 16, but not currenlty after that. 

Check out this page: http://themortgagereports.com/7570/fha-mip-cancel

When I say refi out of an FHA loan, your house needs to appriase at a value much higher than you owe, meaning you have enough equity and and your LTV ration allows it.  

$325k Total Limits, 4% Util
Message 11 of 19
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

@sdchrgrboy wrote:

@StartingOver10 wrote:

If you put down 10% rather than 3.5% on an FHA loan, then the MIP only lasts for 11 years rather than the life of the loan. But you have to put at least 10% down and nothing less. Ask your LO about this option.

The refi at a later date assumes the market is rising and that when you refi, your new loan is 80% of less of the new value. This doesn't always happen or sometimes it takes longer to happen than you planned.  Also, if the interest rate is higher, it may not be beneficial. There are lots of "ifs" in this scenario. 

That's not necessarily true.  Current MIP for FHA is life of the loan.  You can eventually ask for it to be removed but you need to meet certain conditons and you may not meet them in 11 years.  It all depends on the the value of the home and the area you live in. Plus they take the value o the  purchase price, not current appraised value.  I am in San Diego and my house went up close to $200k in value in the last 4 years. I would bet that a house in Indiana or Missouri (no disrespect to Indiana or Missouri) for expample wouldn't do the same.  But even so. paying MIP for 11 years. I personally would have end of paying an additional $44k. Like I mentioned, it is tax deductible, but that may change, It was exteded to included 2015 and 16, but not currenlty after that. 

When I say refi out of an FHA loan, your house needs to appriase at a value much higher than you owe, meaning you have enough equity and and your LTV ration allows it.  

@StartingOver10 wrote:

If you put down 10% rather than 3.5% on an FHA loan, then the MIP only lasts for 11 years rather than the life of the loan

StartingOver is correct

http://portal.hud.gov/hudportal/documents/huddoc?id=15-01mlatch.pdf

Retired Lender
Message 12 of 19
sdchrgrboy
Contributor

@DallasLoanGuy wrote:

@sdchrgrboy wrote:

@StartingOver10 wrote:

That's not necessarily true.  Current MIP for FHA is life of the loan.  You can eventually ask for it to be removed but you need to meet certain conditons and you may not meet them in 11 years.  It all depends on the the value of the home and the area you live in. Plus they take the value o the  purchase price, not current appraised value.  I am in San Diego and my house went up close to $200k in value in the last 4 years. I would bet that a house in Indiana or Missouri (no disrespect to Indiana or Missouri) for expample wouldn't do the same.  But even so. paying MIP for 11 years. I personally would have end of paying an additional $44k. Like I mentioned, it is tax deductible, but that may change, It was exteded to included 2015 and 16, but not currenlty after that. 

@StartingOver10 wrote:

If you put down 10% rather than 3.5% on an FHA loan, then the MIP only lasts for 11 years rather than the life of the loan

StartingOver is correct

http://portal.hud.gov/hudportal/documents/huddoc?id=15-01mlatch.pdf

Even so, the OP needs to decide if it's more beneficial to pay more upfront, i.e. larger down paymen vs.  paying upfront PMI/MIP and then paying it every month it for 11 years.  

$325k Total Limits, 4% Util
Message 13 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Keep the cushion. The MI at 85% LTV (15% down) is minimal anyway.

Message 14 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Okay I will with not putting it all down. Hopefully can refinance down the road

Message 15 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, increasing interest rates make the refi of fha loan option undesirable. Interest rates will no doubt go up.
Message 16 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Does anyone think using(relying on) tax return to pay taxes on the property is a smart idea? Lets say mortgage with taxes are $2880 and $900 are from taxes alone. So lets say she puts nothing down she uses her savings and takes $11000 out and put it in the account where the mortgage payments will come out of. So now automatically $900 will be deducted and $1980 will be payment to split for mortgage (which is doable). And lets say her tax return is $8000 every year. Just want to know if that is a good idea. Or if anyone has done this. Thanks

Message 17 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Does anyone think using(relying on) tax return to pay taxes on the property is a smart idea? Lets say mortgage with taxes are $2880 and $900 are from taxes alone. So lets say she puts nothing down she uses her savings and takes $11000 out and put it in the account where the mortgage payments will come out of. So now automatically $900 will be deducted and $1980 will be payment to split for mortgage (which is doable). And lets say her tax return is $8000 every year. Just want to know if that is a good idea. Or if anyone has done this. Thanks

It is my opinion that you should never rely on your tax refund to pay for your obligations. What if things change and your refund is smaller? You should plan to have the money to pay regardless of your tax refund, and let the refund be a bonus. 

Message 18 of 19
degs138
Established Contributor

You have to Calc out the PMI to see if it's something you can live with. Make sure your loan has a no early payment or balloon payment clause. Also verify that you can remove the PMI once you have 20% in equity. If you put down 15% you should have a low PMI and once you save 5% more you can pay that into the house and remove PMI. With interest so low I would not recomment over paying once you have the 20% into your home. All intrerest is tax deductible so you will get a nice tax break the first 5 years.

Keep a large savings and invest, with the tax break you'll come out ahead.

FICO TU 757 Eq 741 116,900 Total revolving Credit.
Favorite cards: AMEX BCP, US Bank Cash+, Chase Sapphire Prefered
Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.