Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Clear to Close - Is the house mine?

tag
unixman
Established Member

Clear to Close - Is the house mine?

Hi all,

I've received a clear to close on a FHA loan and am now waiting for a closing date...

I've waited until now to tell my current landlord, friends, etc that I'm getting a house and am wondering if its essentially "in the bag" now? Assuming I've got the money needed for closing and dont apply for additional credit, is now a safe time to "assume" I'm going to close and tell my landlord I'm moving out?

I'd also like to buy some things for the house so that I'll have them when I get the keys... I don't mean with credit, but with cash from my bank account -- separate from closing funds. Is it safe?

What are the odds that my loan would fall through this late in the game? Thanks!

Starting Score: 756
Current Score: 756
Goal Score: 800

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Clear to Close - Is the house mine?

Yes! The house is yours... 

You still have to wait til after closing to buy any furniture etc though, so don't go out and apply for credit or loans.

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 2 of 7
NotTellinYou
New Contributor

Short of a natural disaster, nuclear war, or alien invasion, the house is yours.

That said...I would hold off buying anything until after closing.  You don't know what might come up and while hey give you an estimate on closing costs, and while rare, it is an estimate.  Your title company will give you your actual costs a few days or so before closing.

My advice...keep your money and then celebrate your closing with a shopping spree!

Congratulations!

Starting Score TU: 520
Current Score TU: 815. EX: 806. EQ: 819

Chase Freedom $20k, WellsFargo $12k, Barclay $5k, BCU $15k, Discover $5k, USAA $7k, Lowes $8k, Home Depot $10k, Citi $13k, Apple $15k, Credit One, $20k, NFCU, $25k, Arvest $35K
Message 3 of 7
playboy
Regular Contributor

I like to add that you're good just hold off on any new purchases until you settle.  However, if the zombie apocalypse happens then you're SOL>

Starting Score: EX 575/TU 534/EQ 570
Current Scores per Myfico: (As of 12-14-13) EX 690/EQ 685/TU 679
Goal Score: 720

Message 4 of 7
fdiggy
New Contributor

Actully its yours to make payments on. But the Bank owns it.

Starting Score: 701
Current Score: EX-FICO701 EQ-FICO644 TU-FICO724 all lender pulls April 2nd 2013
Goal Score: 800

Message 5 of 7
Uppingmyscore
Established Contributor

Yes, you should be fine. When do you close? I was told by my LO I could buy anything I wanted as long as use cash and didn't establish new credit. Check with your LO about purchases with cash and happy shopping.
My Wallet: Amex Express BCE $27,000, Amex Express Blue Sky $6,000, Delta SkyMiles $10,000, Discover $14,000, Chase Freedom $23,500, Capital One $8,000, SAMS $10,000, and LOWES $10,000
Message 6 of 7
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

@playboy wrote:

I like to add that you're good just hold off on any new purchases until you settle.  However, if the zombie apocalypse happens then you're SOL>

lol Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.