cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Close oldest credit card prior to mortgage app?

tag
jetsfan2013
Frequent Contributor

Close oldest credit card prior to mortgage app?

I am in the process of paying off the last debt I have (2 CC's and 1 small auto loan). The 1 CC I have has been open since a Ch 7 in 2012, and has had only 1 30 day late during the 5 year span. Currently it is at 90 percent util, but I will be paying in full  later this month. The other CC and auto loan I should be able to clear by April, and at that point I was going to app for a mortgage.

If I close the oldest CC, my AAoA will likely go down quite a bit, as everything else has been opened less than 2 yrs. I know I can't predict my FICO, but should I keep that card open until after the mortgage apps, or close prior?

Road to rebuilding starts soon
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Close oldest credit card prior to mortgage app?

Is there a reason you want to close this card?
Message 2 of 5
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

No, don't close your oldest card or any card before making a mortgage application. Don't make changes to your CR before you get your mortgage. Wait until you close on your home and then close the credit card if you still want to close it. Making changes before applying for a mortgage is not a good thing - except for paying down debt.  Critical Point: you want your debt paid and reporting the new balance to the CRA's before you apply for your mortgage, not after you have made your mortgage application.

Pay it off as you plan to do so. That way your new zero balance can help your score (zero utility is a good thing). As elsewhere on this site, if you can have all of your revolving accounts paid to zero except one credit card reporting a balance of 1% to 9%, that will optimize your score.

By the way, you AAoA won't drop in FICO scoring closing the oldest account as it continues to report for up to 10 years after you close it. [However, closing it affects your AAoA for Vantage scores immediately.]  But closing the account will affect your utilization and that will have a direct impact on your FICO score. Losing utility usually hurts your score, so don't risk it before you close on your mortgage

Message 3 of 5
MTSN
Regular Contributor

There's no point in closing it, and it's generally not a good thing to do anything dramatic with your credit profile before applying for a mortgage. 

Message 4 of 5
jetsfan2013
Frequent Contributor

Thanks for the info

Road to rebuilding starts soon
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.