cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Closed 8/14 But My FICO Was Dropping Fast!!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Closed 8/14 But My FICO Was Dropping Fast!!

Sad part was there was NOTHING I could do to stop the bleeding.

Sold my house early July, closed last Friday.

In the meantime:

1. I had a credit check in connection with my new mortgage. -1 point

2. Changed address since I needed a place to live for a month and a half -1 point

3. Paid off my old mortgage. -3 points

4. Made the final payment on my car loan -1 point

4. Called Comcast for new service, had no idea they did a hard pull. -5 points

Within two weeks I went from 755 to 744.

Good news, apparently lender didn't really care, but it was making me pretty nervous!!!

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Closed 8/14 But My FICO Was Dropping Fast!!

Was this score drop before close? I'm very nervous because our lowest mid is exactly at 740 at time of application. The only reason we're getting this loan/rate is bc of the 740. We're locked and the file is in UW, but do lenders pull scores before closing or just a report showing new/high balances? What happens if someone's score drops out of the top tier rate just before closing?

Message 2 of 7
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Congratulations on your new home!  Yea...lender didn't care because you are in a good place anyway. They probably didn't even pull a new report before you closed, did they?

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Pretty much what happened to me.

-paid off 6 yr installment loan 6 weeks before closing- 12-18 point drop depending on bureau

-change of address -4

-mortgage pulled my report 3 times in last 6 weeks -2

I did find out old account 5+ years pays out- GET READY. I don't understand the punishment, the 6 years I paid on that loan was perfect, make the last payment and WHAM!

Message 4 of 7
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Pretty much what happened to me.

-paid off 6 yr installment loan 6 weeks before closing- 12-18 point drop depending on bureau

-change of address -4

-mortgage pulled my report 3 times in last 6 weeks -2

I did find out old account 5+ years pays out- GET READY. I don't understand the punishment, the 6 years I paid on that loan was perfect, make the last payment and WHAM!

FICO 8 yes, but 2/3 of the mortgage trifecta aren't affected by this.  Experian only as it's a '98 algorithm.

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Understanding-FICO-Scoring/Installment-tradeline-utilization-thread/m-p/4055989#U4055989

Change of address: doesn't affect FICO, something else changed.

Mortgage pulls: they have a 30 day grace period (and do roll up / dedupe scoring wise for a minimum of 14 days), once that 30 days is up though you will get a single scoreable inquiry against you assuming you didn't have pulls over an extended period of time.

To all - FICO's a complicated animal but it's not magic... and using FICO 8 monitoring isn't relevant for mortgage scoring purposes with the one exception of a single portfolio lender we've seen on this forum.

@Anonymous: congrats on the close!

        
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well.... 'why' would paying off a loan after all that time be a drop on your FICO 8?   Utilization would be down, one less payment, good history....  Do installment loans just get figured differently?  Can you explain?

Message 6 of 7
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Well.... 'why' would paying off a loan after all that time be a drop on your FICO 8?   Utilization would be down, one less payment, good history....  Do installment loans just get figured differently?  Can you explain?

TL;DR - FICO 8 (and FICO 98 too at least for part duex) calculate on two things:

• Installment line open
  • Installment line utilization (aggregate for sure, don't think it's individual line based on my data anyway).

As a result, paying one off will change your installment line utilization for certain, and seemingly no open installment loans may be the same as brand new ones from a scoring perspective; hard to say.  

Longer gory thread if you have the patience or interest to read through it:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Understanding-FICO-Scoring/Installment-tradeline-utilization-thread/m-p/4055989#U4055989

        
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.