Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Closed Today but Feel a Bit Duped. . .

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Closed Today but Feel a Bit Duped. . .

My broker called me today to ask if I could some sign the loan papers.  I said yes and asked if this was it.  He said this is the signing, the loan should fund next week, it will be recorded the after that then I'll get my keys by the end of the week.  Ok so I figured this was not the closing.  Asked if hubby had to come (loan in my name only) he said no.  Asked if I needed to bring anything, again a no. 

So I meet a guy at the title company who says he is a notary and will give me the papers to sign.  We start going over the numbers and I asked if I am supposed to bring the gift money to the closing.  He said this was closing!  On the homebuying TV shows the closing always has about 5 people sitting around a big conference table and at the end they get the keys.  What the heck!  My mom lives in Germany and she is wiring gift money that will take at least 24 hours to get here and she is 9 hrs ahead so add a business day.  When I got home to tell her it's time to wire the money, it was the middle of the night (her time) so it wont happen until next week.  After it was done I had to have my husband go over there to sign an Interspousal or something like that and take the certified check for the other gift money from MIL.

Then, after I had been told a few weeks ago I would lock at 5.5%, I find my interest rate is 5.75%!  That's $50 more a month! 

I feel happy but unhappy.  I think it could have gone a lot better.  I would have liked my realtor to be there or my husband.  That was such a great moment and I didnt get to share it with anyone.  And I feel a little duped.  Interest rates are at all time lows why am I paying 5.75%?

One more question.  Since I signed all the papers can I send in my tax rebate form now or do I have to wait until it records or funds or whatever else it's doing?

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Closed Today but Feel a Bit Duped. . .

Congratulations on closing and thank you for sharing with us! Smiley Happy 
Message 2 of 10
SonorityGenius
Established Contributor

Did you have your 5.5% rate LOCKED with the broker or float?

If you had it locked, you should NOT have signed anything!

In some states, the loan funds the day of closing, and you get the keys, and in others the loan takes a week or longer to fund and than you get the keys

If you had ANY doubts you should have called the broker right away, now that you have signed, you still have a legal right to rescind if indeed your rate was LOCKED but u were charged higher.

And yes! send in that 5405 and 1040x forms right off  to IRS for the credit!

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would be unhappy about the way this went down as well. Someone should have been there with you a real estate attorney, your agent, etc. in my opinion. I've never seen a closing without one of the two. Perhaps in your state they don't use attorneys, but then where was your realtor and the communication with your broker? Not very organized if you didn't realize you were going to the closing and needed the funds.

I would wait until AFTER the loan has funded and the loan has been RECORDED before filing any paperwork. Not really a done deal until the seller has signed, the loan funds and the deed has been recorded, so you should wait.

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

We've bought three houses over the years and never had anyone at closing besides my husband and I, and someone from the title company. We're in Ohio FWIW.
Message 5 of 10
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

This is a lesson for others.....

You don't have to sign......

bait & switch gives good lenders a bad name

Retired Lender
Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

We had this happen to us and we signed anyways because we had to move that weekend and it was about 1/2 % jump in rate.  To make matters worse, they sold our loan to TBW 15 days later, cashed our first 2 mortgage checks, and filed BK without forwarding those check to TBW.  Now TBW has went out of business and I have a payment out to them that B of A (who now has the acct) does not show yet.  Always something.
Message 7 of 10
stpn2me
Frequent Contributor

but then where was your realtor

What realtor? You mean the seller's agent? As this person found out, the used house salesman has no obligation to help you....

This lady needed a real estate attorney....eventually people will learn to stop trusting sales people....

TU - 673 EQ - 672 EX - 669 as of 13 Nov 2015
Message 8 of 10
rockymtngrl
Frequent Contributor

stpn2me-I'm not sure why you are making posts telling people not to use realtors in the buying process...and then in your signature line you say get a buyers agent....and a buyers agent is a realtor. I think you might be a bit confused.

A realtor can be a buyers agent or a sellers agent...but either way they are both realtors. It is bad advice to tell people they don't need a realtor to buy a house. Especially if they are first time buyers which a majority of the people posting here are. Nobody here is suggesting dual agency.

Message 9 of 10
Lel
Moderator Emeritus

stpn2me wrote:

but then where was your realtor

What realtor? You mean the seller's agent? As this person found out, the used house salesman has no obligation to help you....

This lady needed a real estate attorney....eventually people will learn to stop trusting sales people....

I don't see how you came to the conclusion that the OP was working solely with the seller's agent.  It sounds like she had a buyer's agent (her realtor or broker), but that person was not present at the closing.  This does strike me as unusual, I'll say that.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.