cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Closed student loan accounts on credit report: good or bad?

tag
SchwayCred
Established Member

Closed student loan accounts on credit report: good or bad?

Hello, all,

First of all, THANK YOU for all of the advice I've gotten while lurking on these boards. You guys are so knowledgeable about this stuff, it really is amazing. And it's so great to get the advice from people who've been where I am. Thanks to the advice here, I got my TransUnion FICO up from 603 last month to 658 this month. (!!!) And that's indicative of my scores from all three CRAs. I've come a long way from the 530s some years back when I was fresh out of college and poor as a church mouse.

Anyways, I'm hoping folks here can help me with a question about closed student loan accounts. I have about nine student loan accounts on my credit report that have either been paid off in full or closed and transferred to another servicer. Right now, they are all reporting as accounts in good standing. Is it helping my credit score for these to be on there? Or is it bad to have so many extra installment accounts on there, and should I dispute them and try to have them removed? I have eighteen installment accounts altogether. All of them are student loans. Nine of them are closed, and nine are open and reporting positively.

Thanks!!
Message 1 of 1
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.