Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Closing 6 months away, ok to cc app?

tag
basballguy
Frequent Contributor

Closing 6 months away, ok to cc app?

The builder said construction will likely be complete in december.  I have 3k in a secured card i'd like to recover prior to closing so it can contribute towards my closing costs.  The only credit hit I'd take would be on AAoA and a "new" account, right?

This is of course whatever i do open has at least 3k as a limit. 

I know the general rule of thumb is don't app for anything within 6 months of buying a house, but i feel like this is something a simple LOE would cover since lender has already pulled.  (Assuming when they repull my scores check out).

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
ericschmerick

Re: Closing 6 months away, ok to cc app?

I think this depends on too many factors to really give an accurate answer here.  I can only tell you that in my case I opened a new CC only 60 days before I did my mortgage.  My credit (at the mortgage pull) middle score was 691.

I don't really understand everything you've written.  Not sure what you mean by having a secured card and needing at least a $3k limit - does that mean you have a $3k balance, or do you have a $0 balance and $3k limit because you have deposited $3k to secure the card?  In any case to get your security back from that card you'd have to either cross a time threshold and request the bank to convert you from secured to unsecured (in which case you keep the card and limit, but get the security back), or you'd have to close the account.

If you have a $3k secured card, and you have a $3k balance (100% utilization), that would be negatively affecting your current credit score.  If you could pay that balance down to get your utilization down below 40%, I suppose your credit score would go up.

If you really did want to get that security cash back, then you'd need to apply for and open a new unsecured line (hard pull, with a negative effect on your score).

How much all this matters depends on how "close" you are to the limit on DTI, credit score, and reserves for the lender.  If you've already gone through a good, comprehensive pre-approval for the home you're going to close on, that should mean you have anough of everything to qualify.  Just keep you financial situation where it is now (use these 6 mos to save that $3k).

I can't imagine that a lender would ask you for an LOE regarding a new credit line 6 months prior to approval and closing.  They would just at that point be looking at your existing situation.  LOEs would only be for things that need an explanation, like gaps in employment, etc.

Message 2 of 6
basballguy
Frequent Contributor

I think you sufficiently answered my question with your personal experience.

For clarification, the card is around 5% uti and the bank it's with (Cap One) doesn't convert secured.  So yes I know I have to app.  What was your score hit (if any) from the new account?

Message 3 of 6
Booner72
Senior Contributor

NO NO NO
STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Message 4 of 6
RJA
Regular Contributor

Do not apply for any new credit while you are in the process of buying a home.  Lenders will pull (soft pull) just before closing to verify if you've done just that.  This could potentially impact obtaining your loan. 

My LO informed me that several of her clients lost loans by doing this sort of thing.  It's not worth it.

Message 5 of 6
ericschmerick

You know, for some reason it seems like my score went up with my new CC account!  Not sure why.  My middle score was 691 on my mortgage app.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.