Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Closing 8/14 Need Insurance Help

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Closing 8/14 Need Insurance Help

Ok.  I am scheduled to close on 8/14 and I am trying to get homeowner's insurance.  I was told because of "something" on my credit report ("which wasn't going to effect my credit") that my insurance would be $1,343 per year.  I have no idea what the heck they are talking about.  They asked me if I had any judgements, bankruptcies or foreclosures in the past 10 years.  I did have a foreclosure but it is no longer on my credit report.  I also had a judgement that was paid in 2006 to CrapOne that put it as pd for less than debt or whatever but they were paid $1,300+ for a $500 card.  Is there something I can do or a company that won't pull my credit to drop my score and not look for issues that are no longer on my report?
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Closing 8/14 Need Insurance Help

Does everything else with the quote look good, i.e. deductibles, extra coverage, etc? My quote was high too, but I tweaked the coverage and got it cut almost in half.
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I haven't seen the quote.  They just called me and said they couldn't write the policy but had a alternative company and gave me the amount of $1,343.
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

The rates you get for Insurance are based on your "Insurance Score" not your FICO score.

I'd shop around.  Could be this company has a funky surcharge for something they don't like about your Insurance Score.

I had quotes from $760 to over $1100 for my homeowners with the exact same limits.

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm pretty sure all insurance companies look at your credit, but it's considered a "soft hit". Shouldn't affect your credit score much. Not sure what the company you're talking about was looking at, but definitely shop around.

My car insurance guy gave me a quote of $1000/yr. Pretty darn high. I did one of those multiple quote thingy's online and I was getting quotes for $700. Low and behold, my car insurance guy calls me back saying he found a better rate for.....$700. Smiley Very Happy

Message 5 of 7
musikklvr
Frequent Contributor

I had one company quote me close to $3,000, then had another quote $2400 then had one quote around $800. I was like in awe at the difference.

Definitely shop around.

Starting Score: 668
Current Score: 712
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 6 of 7
WannaHouse
Valued Contributor

Same here...we had quotes from $300 to $900 per year.

Kathy

We are finally homeowners!!

Closed May 5th-30 yr fixed at 5.25%.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.