Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Closing Costs on a USDA Direct Loan

tag
SSTO
Valued Member

Closing Costs on a USDA Direct Loan

I'm almost at the end of the process of buying a condo with a USDA Direct Loan.  I tried getting it with a Guarantted USDA loan, but had to jump ship and go Direct for financial/credit reasons.    That being said, the Condo is 67,000 and will probably appraise around $73,000 or so.   I am getting a bit nervous that the closing costs are going to bring the cost over the appraised value.  One good thing is that through my employer, I was able to join a Legal Plan for $15.00 a month that let's me use a Real Estate attorney at no charge for this purchase - and it includes title work, going to the closing, the whole works.  I didn't get my GFE yet because the appraisal hasn't been completed yet by the USDA - I had one done prior because I tried via Guaranteed Loan and that appraisal came back at 72,000.  Is $5,000 going to be enough for closing costs?  Plus they have some repairs that I need to have done, and those estimates are about $2500 or so.  They (USDA office) haven't mentioned anything about me maybe needing funds of my own to close, but I'm beginning to get nervous about that aspect of the loan because I don't have extra money right now. 

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
DanTheMan77
Regular Contributor

Re: Closing Costs on a USDA Direct Loan

Closing costs in my area are typically 3%-6%. On a purchase price of $67,000 thats roughly $2,000 to $4,000. Add in the $2,500 in repairs and that means you need the appraisal to come in $4,500 to $6,500 over purchase price...  or $71,500 to $73,500. Keep in mind though that the appraisal should be done "as complete" meaning that the appraised value will estimate the value of the property once the repairs are done. 

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.