Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Closing Wed and still no VA entilment Certificate

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Closing Wed and still no VA entilment Certificate

We are scheduled to close Wed and as of Friday Mortgage Co is still waiting on the Certificate of Entilement from VA. They say if it isnt in by Monday we cant close Wed. They say everything has to be in and approved 48 hrs prior to closing. Ughh.. What could be taking so long for this certificate?? DH retired after 21 yrs. I would assume he is more them qualified for the VA loan. Anyone have any insight on the VA loan process?? Any suggestions to get VA to release this entilement form?
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Closing Wed and still no VA entilment Certificate

Q: How do I get a Certificate of Eligibility?

A: Complete a 
VA Form 26-1880Request for a Certificate of Eligibility: You can apply for a Certificate of Eligibility by submitting a completed VA Form 26-1880, Request For A Certificate of Eligibility For Home Loan Benefits, to the Winston-Salem Eligibility Center, along with proof of military service. In some cases it may be possible for VA to establish eligibility without your proof of service. However, to avoid any possible delays, it's best to provide such evidence.

Q: Can my lender get my Certificate of Eligibility for me?

A: Yes, it's called ACE (automated certificate of eligibility). Most lenders have access to the ACE (automated certificate of eligibility) system. This Internet based application can establish eligibility and issue an online Certificate of Eligibility in a matter of seconds. Not all cases can be processed through ACE - only those for which VA has sufficient data in our records. However, veterans are encouraged to ask their lenders about this method of obtaining a certificate.

Edit: Please post website addresses when doing a copy/paste job. We don't want to infringe on any copyright laws. Thanks ByrdMan

http://www.homeloans.va.gov/eligibility.htm

Message Edited by ByrdMan on 11-24-2008 11:49 AM
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Thanks for your post but the mortgage company claims they have applied for it and are still waiting!! I was just wondering how long it takes to get the Certificate of entitlement because I had also read the VA site and it says a matter of seconds so I am confused how the mortgage company can claim they havent recieved it yet. They have had 30 days and VA has already done an appraisal I would think the entitlement would have been taken care of before the VA appraisal was done. From what we were told Friday this is the last piece of the puzzle needed to close the loan...
Message 3 of 8
Junejer
Moderator Emeritus

Redsoxfan, please provide a link to the source which you cited. Thank you.

Starting Score: 469
Current Score: 846
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 8
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Hi Thanks for your post but the mortgage company claims they have applied for it and are still waiting!! I was just wondering how long it takes to get the Certificate of entitlement because I had also read the VA site and it says a matter of seconds so I am confused how the mortgage company can claim they havent recieved it yet. They have had 30 days and VA has already done an appraisal I would think the entitlement would have been taken care of before the VA appraisal was done. From what we were told Friday this is the last piece of the puzzle needed to close the loan...

The first thing any VA applicant should do is request a Certificate of Eligibility.

This .pdf should help you.  http://www.vba.va.gov/ro/phoenixlgy/COE%20Flyer.pdf.  It appears you can request it yourself at http://vip.vba.va.gov/.

Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't care if your lender's an ex-Vet and promises that they can get the documents for you in 5 minutes (not meaning to disparage the LO). The military "takes care of it's own" and unless the request is coming DIRECTLY from the (ex)servicemember, they'll take their own sweet time.

We HAD a copy of DH's EC (in storage unit somewhere probably keeping some mice very warm this year) and we had USAA "request" it on our behalf about 2-3 years ago ... took them over a month to get it, while DH concurrently requested the doc, was able to call his old Division, and got it sent overnight within 72 hours.

That seems to be how the gubmint works. YMMV. Smiley Sad

I'd call the DoVA and nicely explain the situation and see if they can expedite. Unfortunately, it could be that the EC is sitting on someone's desk whilst they're on TDY or on leave. Smiley Sad

Crossing my fingers for you!!!!!! Please let us know how it goes!!!
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's all over the place on the 'net -- I couldn't find the original site that all the others are citing, however. It seems as though the original site might be one that's been taken down (keep getting rerouted to this one site that gives me an "Error 404"). Why, I don't know. Smiley Sad

Since the gubmint is so sketchy at best, I'd not go by any site other than the DoVA. Might be on the dry side to read and they don't seem to organize their info very well, but I'd rather hear a boring, rambly lecture from the horse's mouth rather than the hind end. Smiley Wink
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for all replies. The mortgage comapany got the certificate today so file is with underwriter and suppose to be sent to title company tomorrow for closing on Wed..Still keeping fingers crossed and saying prays there are no other last minute issues!!!
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.