Regular Contributor

Closing costs

How can closing costs be paid? Options?

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
namvet
Established Contributor

Re: Closing costs

Closing costs may be paid by the buyer or seller in the case of a purchase transaction.  Lender approval will be required and it must be spelled out in the purchase contract.

Message 2 of 9
rm3
Regular Contributor

Does it increase the purchase price? for example, my purchase limit has to be 115,000 to qualify for 2.5%. does that leave the only option of the buyer, me, paying the closing costs? just trying to see if there are any other options or should i just plan on having the funds needed by closing. 

Thank you

Message 3 of 9
namvet
Established Contributor

The purchase price must be agreed upon by the buyer and seller and the appraised value must be for at least that amount.  If you have a realtor then i would discuss this with him or her.  Your loan officer should also be able to answer these questions for you.  I'm sure others will comment on this post and give you some good advice.  Good luck!

Message 4 of 9
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

closing costs can be paid by the seller or buyer.

limits depending on the program

example: you find a home for $100k and negotiate it down to 96k
 or

pay 100k and ask the seller to pay 4k of your closing costs... seller still nets 96k

costs are't added to the loan.

Retired Lender
Message 5 of 9
rm3
Regular Contributor

my lo is telling me the only way to do this would be to bring the purchase price up to 118k- negotiated 115k and seller pays 3k closing costs. If that makes sense, I have to pay closing to get the 2.5 interest rate......bummer but i'll take the rate over the 3k.

Message 6 of 9
namvet
Established Contributor

That sounds like a good plan to me!  Good luck!

Message 7 of 9
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

@rm3 wrote:

my lo is telling me the only way to do this would be to bring the purchase price up to 118k- negotiated 115k and seller pays 3k closing costs. If that makes sense, I have to pay closing to get the 2.5 interest rate......bummer but i'll take the rate over the 3k.

well, if you are already under contract.... yes, you would have to renegotiate the contract.

Retired Lender
Message 8 of 9
rm3
Regular Contributor

Not under contract yet but the way it looks I'll be paying the closing costs out of pocket.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.