Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Closing early

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Closing early

I've heard that many people push their closing date back for various reasons, but how hard is it ot move the date forward after it's been set? 

We set our closing for Dec. 22 in our contract. So far the inspection has been completed. The sellers have moved out of the house (and state). We are expecting to hear back about the appraisal in the next two weeks. We were told that after the appraisal, it would take about a week for the loan documents to be completed. 

Has anyone else been able to move their closing date forward? We have been living in a hotel since moving 1,600 miles in August. My family is anxious about having more space and moving our belongings out of storage. 

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
ficogirl1

Re: Closing early

I closed 3 days early and like you the house was empty. My underwriting and appraisal were quick and clean and other than standard requirements, ie. confirming homeowner's insurance, I did not have any underwriting conditions.  I could have actually closed a week early, but I didn't want the extra time.

Starting Score: TU727 EQ743
Current Score: TU771 EQ781
Goal Score: 800

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

It all depends on the sellers and whether they are willing/able to move out early and whether the lender is able to close early.

Message 3 of 5
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

OP, if you want to close early, make sure you give your lender enough notice to do so. Remember the lender is processing your loan to meet a date that is indicated on your contract. It is typical for the loan officer and his team (including processing, underwriting and closing department) to use the contract date as the target. So if you are changing the target closing date - let the lender know as soon as possible.  The lender may need 10 days notice or so to move the date forward, particularly now that TRID is in effect.

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

The loan company knows that I want to rush things. It was their idea for me to try to close early. They said they will begin the underwriting as soon as they get the appraisal back. That is holding things up at this point. The sellers have no problem since they moved out of state the day they received the offer. I guess I'll just keep prodding things along on my end. 

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.