Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Closing later today but don't want to. Help

tag
Vegas247
Established Contributor

Closing later today but don't want to. Help

My closing is later today at 3:30pm pacific time zone. Thinking my wife would treat me better and be proud of me, but she still bosses me around, yells at me and calls me horrible names, while in front of the kids. I tell her she doesn't deserve a house or me. She yells back that she couldn't care less and hopes I get into a car accident and die. For 11 years I have had to put up with this. She gets her way because I always give in and I guess I'm all bark and no bite, and thinking  something special like buying a home for my family would stop her from easily popping off and putting me down.... I thought wrong..  

My question is what would happen if I don't sign my closing documents to close on the house? I put $5,000 earnest money in escrow on a house is 399k (appraised at 407k) supposed to put 10 percent down? Everything is approved and all I have is to sign and bring a cashiers check or have the funds wired.

$600 Barclaycard® Rewards MasterCard® - Average Credit $6500 Blue Cash Everyday® Card from American Express $30k credit card16k Chase Freedom® - $200 Bonus12k VSiggy
Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Closing later today but don't want to. Help

That is absolutely horrible!When I 1st started reading I thought this was a joke but soon realized it wasn't.Im not a mortgage expert so I can't give you advice on not signing all your documents but if it were me I would buy the house,dig a hole in the back yard and put the b#### in it.Good luck buddy
Message 2 of 22
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

OP, take a look at your contract in the default section. Normally you lose the EMD and any other deposits that were scheduled to be made and you risk the seller coming after you for specific performance - at least that is how our contracts read.  Look to your contract it will say what the penalties are for a buyer default. 

I am sorry you are having to go through this turmoil. 

Message 3 of 22
Vegas247
Established Contributor

@StartingOver10 wrote:

OP, take a look at your contract in the default section. Normally you lose the EMD and any other deposits that were scheduled to be made and you risk the seller coming after you for specific performance - at least that is how our contracts read.  Look to your contract it will say what the penalties are for a buyer default. 

I am sorry you are having to go through this turmoil. 

I have looked at the contract, but don't see a default section.

$600 Barclaycard® Rewards MasterCard® - Average Credit $6500 Blue Cash Everyday® Card from American Express $30k credit card16k Chase Freedom® - $200 Bonus12k VSiggy
Message 4 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

No solid mortgage advice, but I'm sorry you're going through that.  

Message 5 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Talk to your realtor and loan officer ASAP. damages caused to sellers is very real and they may choose to sue under specific performance as mentioned before. Not a lawyer and this is not legal advice BUT my Inlaws have sued people for exactly that reason. Cold feet is not a good reason to break a contract.
Message 6 of 22
driftless
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Talk to your realtor and loan officer ASAP. damages caused to sellers is very real and they may choose to sue under specific performance as mentioned before. Not a lawyer and this is not legal advice BUT my Inlaws have sued people for exactly that reason. Cold feet is not a good reason to break a contract.
+1 I would close and then deal with your marriage.
CSR | Amex Platinum | EDP | QS (2)
Amex Blue Business Plus
Message 7 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

OMG!  Sorry but nobody deserve to live like that!

Maybe is that for you to think about what you really want in life.........

Message 8 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Dang! This is rough! I don't know what you should do. I like the idea of the hole in the back yard.

Anyway, keep us updated.

Message 9 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

You better decide quick if you really want to continue living that way. Been there, done that for 20 years. Divorced and have been remarried for three years. I coundnt be happier now with my life. I only wish I would have had the balls to do it sooner...........

Good luck.

Message 10 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.