cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Closing on Tuesday, Did I use my CC too early?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Closing on Tuesday, Did I use my CC too early?

Just looking for some info, we got an clear to close last Thursday and will be closing this Tuesday afternoon. Anyways my wife couldnt wait and charged 2K worth of furniture on one of our cards today. I dont think this will have any effect on us even though I know people said dont use your CC until you close. Did we screw ourselves here or are we okay? I figured this balance wont even report until the next statement which is more than a week after we close. Plus our DTI was well below the cutoff line at only 30% backend before this. Also im not even sure if they already repull the credit report again but the latest they'll do it is this tuesday when we close right?Just to make sure im not freaking out on my wife for nothing

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

Re: Closing on Tuesday, Did I use my CC too early?

It's quite possible to bite you at closing.  I would be prepared.

5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wow really? How would it even show up on the credit report so fast? Also would they still give me issues even though my dti would still be good.
Message 3 of 11
birjest
Frequent Contributor

I whole-heartly doubt it.  I don't use my debit card for no purchasing, thus, I use my credit cards as its replacements.  Now, if you open a new account while you are waiting to close, then yes, stand by for heavy rolls.  Otherwise, you going to close on a house.  There is no need for them to pull your credit on the day of your closing.  Ok from my experience, I closed on two new constructions home in the last 9 years and I am about to close on my 3rd new construction home on the 22nd of this month.  When I went to closing, it was to bring a check, sign paperwork for 5 hours, and to get a check back at the end. 

Again, I don't think you did any damage.  Just, DO NOT OPEN A CREDIT CARDS BETEEN NOW AND TUESDAY MORNING!!!Smiley Happy

5/30/15 EQ 596; TU 605; EX 580.
12/18/17 EQ 646; TU 660; EX 674.
7/30/23 EQ 708; TU 703; EX 721.
Message 4 of 11
vlaw1084
Contributor

I agree with the statement above, you should be fine, your statement will not come until after you close. Just advise the wife to calm down until you sign those docs and yo have your keys! Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 11
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

@vlaw1084 wrote:

I agree with the statement above, you should be fine, your statement will not come until after you close. Just advise the wife to calm down until you sign those docs and yo have your keys! Smiley Happy

+1
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the encouragement, I will keep you all updated.
Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just found out they already repulled, but on a Sunday?
Message 8 of 11
rckstrscott
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Just found out they already repulled, but on a Sunday?

The only way that CC usage could possibly be factored is if it reported. When do you usually get your statement? 

-scott

Starting FICO Score: October 2010: TU 498 | EQ: 502
Current FICO Scores:: May 2022: TU: 784 | EQ: 770 | EX: 790
Message 9 of 11
birjest
Frequent Contributor

Not to be a sea lawyer, but the one reason why it was pulled was to see if you applied for any "NEW CREDIT cards". If you can recall, there was a form in your package that you sign off explaining if you had any inquires.  Again, I don't think it can sink your closing.

5/30/15 EQ 596; TU 605; EX 580.
12/18/17 EQ 646; TU 660; EX 674.
7/30/23 EQ 708; TU 703; EX 721.
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.