cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Closing on first home (FHA) on 7/31 - Can I dispute closed/paid accounts on my credit report?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Closing on first home (FHA) on 7/31 - Can I dispute closed/paid accounts on my credit report?

I read the sticky post warning that any disputes on unpaid accounts can throw up a red flag when trying to close on the mortgage.  In my case, I have 3 Student Loant accounts which are showing as $0 Balance with a status of TRANSFER.  These student loans originally defaulted but I have since successfully completed a Federal Loan Rehabilitation.  Part of the Rehab program confirms that all negative items on my credit report (that fall within the timeframe of the rehab) are removed from my credit report.  This happened automatically for Experian and Equifax.

Transunion is still showing these paid accounts with numerous late payments.  I would like to dispute the accounts so they will be removed but I don't want to mess up my pending house purchase.

Is it safe to dispute items on my credit report if they do not carry a balance and are closed or is it a blanket "Do not dispute anything for any reason until you close"?

1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Closing on first home (FHA) on 7/31 - Can I dispute closed/paid accounts on my credit report?

I would leave it alone and let your paperwork showing you are clear of default be your guidance. I'm assuming the negative account isn't holding your score down as you already have your closing date so everything has been approved correct?

If you dispute and Transunion continues to report inaccurate information or only updates part of the account, it could make things worse. I would personally wait until you close on the home and then dispute if it is not gone. 

Also as an FYI, the credit reporting agencies can take up to 60 days to update your account after something like that. If it hasn't been 60 days yet, that's another reason to wait it out. 

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.