Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Closing on present home soon

tag
frugalQ
Valued Contributor

Re: Closing on present home soon

Bamaguy....are you SURE you didn't plant the termites?!?!?!

*inquiring minds want to know*
AmEx Green NPSL | Amex BCP 16K | Citi Simplicity 10k | Discover IT 9K | Chase Slate 7.5K | Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass 7K | Capital One QuickSilver 6K | Home Depot 5k | Chase Freedom 4.5K | LOC 2.5K
Message 11 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

Frugal asked me-

"Bamaguy....are you SURE you didn't plant the termites?!?!?!"

Now would I do something like that to keep em from buying my beloved home of 38 years??

You know what REALLY made me mad??  I had to throw in my SAMSUNG fridge with crushed out the door.  It was only 3 years old!.  The front door on that thing looks like the cockpit of a 747 with that dispenser and menu thing.  It's bad enough they got my home but then want a guy's fridge?  My agent said that's pretty much how things are done nowdays.  

Message 12 of 30
frugalQ
Valued Contributor

Don't sabotage the fridge!!! Lol.

We bought a samsung french door fridge. I really like it.
AmEx Green NPSL | Amex BCP 16K | Citi Simplicity 10k | Discover IT 9K | Chase Slate 7.5K | Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass 7K | Capital One QuickSilver 6K | Home Depot 5k | Chase Freedom 4.5K | LOC 2.5K
Message 13 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

We closed on our home of 38 years yesterday.

We go to church with the family who bought our home, so it was a deal among friends.  They did not know it was our home till the agent showed them around and they recognized us from our pictures on the wall. She's a  single mom with 3 kids, her dad was on the FHA loan with her.  Since her divorce 5 years ago, they'd been living in a 2 bedroom apt.  The parents were present at the closing.

We signed a bunch of papers and that was that.  It took about 45 minutes to sign away the house we had worked so hard to pay for all those years.  ( we paid it off 8 years ago)  The attorney noted it is rare to close on a home where a guy holds the title outright.

Finished, my wife and I headed back out to the car, and the new owner followed us. She had a gift basket for us in her car.  It had a few small gifts, but mostly it had a card signed by each of her kids.  The 9 yr old boy signed it, "Thanks for selling us your house."  I believe all things happen for a reason.  Our house had been on the market for 5 months with almost no activity.  I was making plans going forward on just keeping the house, but selling it would open many options for us.  I belive all things happen for a reason.  You just have to look for it sometimes.   It just happens a family needing a nice home, for a good price, that we go to church with, out of nowhere, buys?  C'mon.  But that is exactly what happened.  You'll never convince me God didn't bless all of us at that closing, as He nodded his approval.

With a 6 figure check in hand (that'll make anyone feel better) we left the meeting and made the short drive to a Regions Bank Branch.  Not people of means, it was the biggest check I had ever held in my hand at one time LOL.  The teller advised me it would take 3 days before funds were available.  "You telling me in this day of instant transfers, it's gonna take THREE days for the check to clear?"  "yes sir."  Basically Regions is gonna use my money for free for 3 days, but that's ok, its business.

Because I hang out on myfico, I had the teller copy the check, and the depoist receipt, and then had their in house notary stamp both, in prepartion to send to the LO who in turn will forward it the UW.

After that we stopped at a local hamburger place for lunch.  Excellent burgers.  It was a quiet lunch, as things were still soaking in.

From there we headed over to the community where our new house was under construction.  I stopped to see the agent in the office, and handed him the copies I had made in the bank so he could scan them in to LO's direct email.  "you had them notarized?"  "Oh yeah, been at this long enough now to know how suspcious UWers can be, not gonna leave any doubt where the money came from."  "You know that ain't a bad idea, they might start requiring it now"

"look here, I'm homeless after June 1, y'all gonna finish end of May like ya said?"  The buyers, under no pressure to move, graciously allowed us the month of May.  I offered to pay rent, but they steadfast declined.  The kind of people they are.  They genuiely feel lucky to buy our home.  I serve with the lady's mother on the parish finance council, and she said they were scared I would counter their offer.  "Well I was upset I had to turn over my Samsung fridge, but I got over it."

"Yes that's what were shooting for", but they currently have 21 builds going on in 5 communities, scattered over 100 miles of Alabama towns.  I hope they can pull it off, but I have plan b ready.

We left the office and went by the house.  Driveway is formed but rain has kept them from pouring it.  Cabinets are up. and fireplace bricked, inside looks ready to paint.  Its going to be a beautiful home if I say so myself.  The community only has 25 lots, and only a few remain.  All lots on my street are sold, I was lucky to get one with a PGA course as a backyard.  Well I say "lucky" I paid had a handsome "lot premium" for it.

We left and went by Home Depot to shop for a new fridge.  It is very close to the community.  We bought a new Samsung french door unit.  It even has those door in door things so a guy can get his Mountain Dews and Dr. Peppers without opening the main door.  I dunno what good that does, but it makes ya look important when you got guys over to watch the games.

Back home I pulled in the driveway at Primrose Drive, no longer the owner but a tennant. Talk about feeling odd.  My neighbor of 35 years saw us as we got out of the car. He has spoken little to me since I put the house up for sale.  "Y'all closed today?"  "We did."  On that he turned and went inside  Smiley Sad

We ate supper at the breakfast table that night, instead of the den and TV. It just felt like the thing to do.

Message 14 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

Bamaguy, I have to say I love reading your posts. You have a gift of writing that makes it easy to visualize the point you are trying to make. They always make me smile, laugh or even tear up like this thread. Good luck to you and your wife in your brand new house!! I look forward to reading many more of your posts!!

Message 15 of 30
frugalQ
Valued Contributor

Bamaguy,

I was looking forward to this update today.  I was actually looking for it last night.  LOL

I am a firm believer that all things happen for a reason (and for the good)...and they work in God's time and not ours.  I had to hold fast to that thought during my closing ordeal.

Welp....chapter X is closing, and chapter Y is just beginning.  Make it as memorable as all of the previous chapters in your life!!

Like the other poster said, I love reading your posts.....they make me chuckle.  And today's posts actually made me tear up a bit!

Message 16 of 30
LynGene
New Contributor

I'm betting it will feel surreal until move out day as a tenant, but I'm glad that you're able to take the transition in more manageable chunks:

1. Close - check
  2. New fridge - check
  3. Pack - in progress
  4. Final move - around the corner

You seriously made me tear up! 

Message 17 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

Since our closing the pace of things has picked up.  My LO emailed and advised the disclosure meeting on the new was going down this monday.  I called her.

"So why ya wanna schedule a meeting without checking with me first??"

"LOL cause you're retired"

"So what's this meeting about?"

"The details of you're loan, and stuff you're gonna need at closing etc,and we're gonna lock in your rate.  I have the cancelled check and depoist receipt from your sale, but I also need 2014 taxes, and the HUD-1 settlement/statement from the sale of your house, 30 days pay stubs, 60 days bank statements."

"you already have that most of that"

"yeah but I need the latest now that we are a few weeks from closing"

I gathered the needed items, went by the office, and had the agent scan them into her email.  Good to go.

Our dining room is now the place for stuff that is boxed up and  ready to go.  DW has boxed most of the pictures and dishes, I'm still lagging behind, most of my stuff is here in my office where I spend alot of time if not watching the flat screen, our playing Call of Duty on PS4.  It was a perfect day weather wise here today.  Low humidity, and clear skies, it will soon be summer and 9 months of misery is on the horizon.  A guy needs to enjoy these days while he can.

I was stirring about this morning, stepping around boxes and clutter.   DW said, "I need ya to help me go through the master bedroom today?"

"What for, none of MY stuff in there is mine, you took over all those closets over about 36 years ago."  At one time I had a few things in the small closet, that now stores nothing but HER shoes.  My stuff was shuffled off to the study closet before I was even shaving.

"Thats NOT true LOL"

"yes it is, you find ONE thing of MINE in there and I'll buy the steaks"

"Well I still need some help"

"I was gonna ride today, can't it wait??"

" NO I'm in the mood NOW"

"I'm NOT even gonna respond to that, I think it came out wrong."

"LOL you know what I mean"

So we delved into things.  We made 2 piles, stuff that makes the cut to the new, and the goodwill pile.

Finally we started on the shoe closet.  It was intimidating to say the least when you're confronted with over 50 pair of shoes.  I'd hold a pair up, "What about these?"

"keep em"

"What about these?"

"Keep em"

"what about these?"

"keep em"

"How come we're not phasing any out?  I pointed to some black heels, "now I know you ain't wore these in 5 years"

"YEAH BUT I LIKE THEM"

So we kept digging through shoes and came upon some old picture albums.  I mean from way back in the day.  We started thumbing through them.  Pictures from all kinds of occassions.  "I can't ever remember being THIS young," as she handed me a pic, she was 23.  We were at the beach, bathing suits.  "Shheeesh babe you were smokin hot."  The picture albums set us back a couple of hours in the packing so we called it a day.  "Start again tomorrow"

I took the ready boxes and moved them to the dining room, all the while thinking how a home of 38 years can come down to a few boxes, tables, chairs etc. but it does.  The stuff that really counts doesn't have to be boxed, you store them up here and here (pointing at head and heart).  I guess moving day will get here soon enough.  

I won the bet and she bought tonight.

Message 18 of 30
frugalQ
Valued Contributor

Bamaguy, you are gonna have us all crying and snotting on move-in day!!!
Message 19 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Finally we started on the shoe closet.  It was intimidating to say the least when you're confronted with over 50 pair of shoes.  I'd hold a pair up, "What about these?"

"keep em"

"What about these?"

"Keep em"

"what about these?"

"keep em"

"How come we're not phasing any out?  I pointed to some black heels, "now I know you ain't wore these in 5 years"

"YEAH BUT I LIKE THEM"

Smiley Very HappySmiley Very HappySmiley Very Happy LOL I know this all too well!!!!!!! Best of luck, BamaGuy! Thank you again for sharing your story - it is an amazing one!

Message 20 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.