Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Co Borrower doesnt help?

tag
C_DUBYA
Regular Contributor

Co Borrower doesnt help?

Hello all,

I am currently in need of a pre approval to start a home building.  My credit score is too low and I am paying off everything but as you know my score will not recoup quickly enough.

My mother in law has offered to co borrow/help.  Her credit score is in the 700s.  The issue is she would need our income, as she is retired and just has a small monthly income.

Is there a way this would work somehow?  Coborrow and use my income and her credit score?  Or would lenders always use the lower score?  In which case whats the point of the borrower?  Just $$?

Thanks for any help/feedback.

Starting FICO8 June 2017: EQ: 514 - EX: 491 - TU: 521 Pre-BK7
Current
FICO8 March 2023: EQ: 703 - EX- 680 - TU: 671
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
DrJim
Frequent Contributor

Re: Co Borrower doesnt help?

I am certainly not expert, but I believe they average both borrower's mid-score.  Usually the additional income from the co-borrowed (like a spouse) is to qualify for a certain level of loan.  If you both make $75K, for example, you can buy more house than if you only have $75K HHI.  I'm sure someone with more knowledge and experience will chime in.

Starting Score: TU 672 EQ 654 10/20/09
Current Score: TU 775 EQ 783 EX 799 (PLUS)
AMEX Delta Platinum $35K, NFCU Visa Signature $30K, HHonors Reserve Visa $35K, WF $13.5K, IHG Rewards Club MC $25K
Message 2 of 6
C_DUBYA
Regular Contributor

Thanks DrJim for the reply.  If they used the middle of the two that would be great.  Hope that is true.

Current
Message 3 of 6
C_DUBYA
Regular Contributor

Just a heads up to others.

I have reached out to a few mortgage peeps and the answer is that they do in fact always use the lower score.  

Current
Message 4 of 6
frugalQ
Valued Contributor

they take the lower of the two middle scores.  they do not average them out.

AmEx Green NPSL | Amex BCP 16K | Citi Simplicity 10k | Discover IT 9K | Chase Slate 7.5K | Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass 7K | Capital One QuickSilver 6K | Home Depot 5k | Chase Freedom 4.5K | LOC 2.5K
Message 5 of 6
tooleman694
Valued Contributor

co-borrowing does not help in credit score problems, its more for income reasons.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.