cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Co-signing for someone does that affect your credit report?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Co-signing for someone does that affect your credit report?

I was going to co-sign for my brother on a car... will that affect me when I go to by my next car?   Will it show i have another car loan?
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Co-signing for someone does that affect your credit report?

It sure will and if he doens't pay it will mess up your credit also.
Message 2 of 6
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

It goes on your credit report as you are liable for the loan.  So do the results - good or bad!
The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Also, if you co-sign, you may not be able to get a car loan for yourself.  The lender may think that you have too much debt, because they consider your brother's car loan to be your loan as well.
Message 4 of 6
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

As far as scores are concerned. It will report just as if it were your loan alone.

Retired Lender
Message 5 of 6
MattH
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I was going to co-sign for my brother on a car... will that affect me when I go to by my next car? Will it show i have another car loan?

Can you afford to simply buy a car yourself, keeping a key and title, then rent it to your brother under terms that make it clear if he fails to pay you the agreed amount then you will take the car back and sell it? If you keep title then you still face the risk of losing money but you don't face the risk of having your credit trashed on a car you do not own and therefore cannot sell.

Just about every personal-finance expert in the media -- print media, radio, online, whatever -- regularly hears from people who are in major major major trouble from co-signing loans.

At the absolute minimum you need to make sure you have a way to verify every payment made to the lender so that if your brother falls behind (as he very likely will) you can intervene before your credit gets trashed.

There must be some reason why nobody is willing to make that loan to your brother, or he wouldn't need your help getting the loan.
TU 791 02/11/2013, EQ 800 1/29/2011 , EX Plus FAKO 812, EX Vantage Score 955 3/19/2010 wife's EQ 9/23/2009 803
EX always was my highest when we could pull all three
Always remember: big print giveth, small print taketh away
If you dunno what tanstaafl means you must Google it
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.