Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collection Settlement

tag
Gracie15
Valued Member

Collection Settlement

I wasn't sure where to put this, either here or in rebuilding.  I want to apply for a mortgage in Nov or Dec. I still have work to do. Yesterday I got a letter offering a settlement on one of my collections accounts. I owe 582.76 they want to settle for 174.83. I would love to get this off my back, but not sure because they will update it and maybe bring down my score. Not that it is good right now. Do you think I have enough time to recover any points I may lose by paying this? Or should I just wait until I go through the mortgage process and see what they (underwriting) say? The account is from March of 2011. It is my newest one. I just don't want to mess anything up, but I do want to get this taken care of. Maybe I can PFD (in full). Like so many people I just don't want to screw anything up.  Thanks for any advice.

Starting Score: EQ: 559 Score Watch
Current Score: EQ: 646 TU: 667 EX: 664 Lender Pull
Goal Score: 640

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
IOBA
Senior Contributor

Re: Collection Settlement

IMO - pay it off.   A paid will look better on the CR to the UW.  I don't think there will be much point loss, if any, but it's hard to say.

Some UW will make it a condition - that you pay off all of the collections - to close on a house.

Message 2 of 5
Gracie15
Valued Member

Thanks for the reply. I figure the UW will want it paid anyway might as well do know and get it over with.

Message 3 of 5
Chinadoll
Contributor

MY Lo told me to pay/settle my collection and I did. It looks better to the underwriter that you tried to satisfy the collection instead of just ignoring it. There were no points loss on my credit score after I paid it either.

Starting Score: TU 654 EQ 599
Current Score: TU 682 EQ 661 EX 688
Goal Score: 750

Message 4 of 5
Gracie15
Valued Member

@Chinadoll wrote:
MY Lo told me to pay/settle my collection and I did. It looks better to the underwriter that you tried to satisfy the collection instead of just ignoring it. There were no points loss on my credit score after I paid it either.

Thank you so much! I will accept their offer and get it off my backSmiley Happy

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.