Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collection account showing with one bureau

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Collection account showing with one bureau

Hi everyone,

I am new here, having just got my first 3B report.  I had no idea I have a utility account in collections - I was never sent a final bill or called by the company.  It was only $42 and surely I would have paid it, but alas, I did not even know it existed.  The account was closed around mid 2011, and looks like it was sold to collections in 2013.  The statute of limitations is up for my state, so I have never even been contacted by a collections agency, although under the collections section it lists 2012 as the date, so it might stay on my report until 2019, rather than 2018.

Of course now I am trying to get a mortgage, and my Fico 2 score is over 50 points lower than my other two mortgage scores (696 vs 750+ -- luckily it is only reporting to Experian).  It is having no impact on my Fico 8 scores, just my mortgage score.  Does this matter?  It's not my middle score, but I have heard some people say any collection will have a negative impact.  I am afraid to settle it for fear of it digging up something that is not hurting my credit in a major way.  We were hoping to qualify for the best rate, but if they are going to go off my 696 that obviously won't happen.  I also don't think I have enough time to do pay for delete as we will be applying for mortgage this month.

Any advice?  And after we go through the mortgage process, would it be wise to try to get this deleted, or just let it fall off in a couple years?

Thank you!

2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Collection account showing with one bureau

I wouldn't worry about it.  The lender will go by your mid score so as long as that is high you should get a pretty good interest rate.  If you are really worried about and the collection company will provide you with a letter of deletion then the lender can get it removed pretty quickly.  Usually though collections companies won't provide that letter except on medical collections but it could be worth a shot.  You may have to pay a little extra for it but since it''s only one thing on one bureau it won't cost that much maybe around $30-$40. I usually get them removed in about 5-7 business days.  Also if you want to provide a little more detail about your scenario I would be happy to price it out and let you know about what you are looking at as far as rate goes.

Message 2 of 3
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

Re: Collection account showing with one bureau

i wouldnt do anything with it until after your mortgage is squared away.

it likely will have almost zero impact

Retired Lender
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.