mackandblues

Collection from a hospital

My goal is to purchase a home in about a year after I increase my credit score from 554.  However I've been reading that you need to have closed collection accounts inorder to be approved for a loan.  I have a collection of $10k from a hospital, do I need to pay that off before pursuing a mortage?  Thanks in advance

pizzadude

Re: Collection from a hospital

mackandblues wrote:

My goal is to purchase a home in about a year after I increase my credit score from 554.  However I've been reading that you need to have closed collection accounts inorder to be approved for a loan.  I have a collection of $10k from a hospital, do I need to pay that off before pursuing a mortage?  Thanks in advance

You'll very likely have to pay the collection as a condition of being approved, unless the collection doesn't belong to you.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Senior Contributor
Booner72

Because that collection is so large, and because it could turn ito a judgment and you could be sued ( and then the judgment would be on your house ) - no lender will approve you as they need to be in "first position" if you default on the house payments.

There are way to deal with medical collections - arranging to pay a percentage, "PFD" which means Pay for Delete, or you can google "HIPAA MEDICAL COLLECTIONS" which explains a process to go about removal, though it requires payment.

Good Luck.
STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Super Contributor
DallasLoanGuy

pizzadude wrote:

mackandblues wrote:

You'll very likely have to pay the collection as a condition of being approved, unless the collection doesn't belong to you.

wrong

* While I try to visit the forum often, please feel free to contact me directly with a link to your post if I fail to answer a follow up question.

* Lending across the entire 'Great State of Texas' since 2004
Super Contributor
DallasLoanGuy

how old is the medical collection?

i have seen files close with large collections.

* While I try to visit the forum often, please feel free to contact me directly with a link to your post if I fail to answer a follow up question.

* Lending across the entire 'Great State of Texas' since 2004

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+