Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collection from a hospital

tag
mackandblues
Established Member

Collection from a hospital

My goal is to purchase a home in about a year after I increase my credit score from 554.  However I've been reading that you need to have closed collection accounts inorder to be approved for a loan.  I have a collection of $10k from a hospital, do I need to pay that off before pursuing a mortage?  Thanks in advance

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Re: Collection from a hospital

@mackandblues wrote:

My goal is to purchase a home in about a year after I increase my credit score from 554.  However I've been reading that you need to have closed collection accounts inorder to be approved for a loan.  I have a collection of $10k from a hospital, do I need to pay that off before pursuing a mortage?  Thanks in advance

You'll very likely have to pay the collection as a condition of being approved, unless the collection doesn't belong to you.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 2 of 5
Booner72
Senior Contributor

Because that collection is so large, and because it could turn ito a judgment and you could be sued ( and then the judgment would be on your house ) - no lender will approve you as they need to be in "first position" if you default on the house payments.

There are way to deal with medical collections - arranging to pay a percentage, "PFD" which means Pay for Delete, or you can google "HIPAA MEDICAL COLLECTIONS" which explains a process to go about removal, though it requires payment.

Good Luck.
STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Message 3 of 5
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

@pizzadude wrote:

@mackandblues wrote:

You'll very likely have to pay the collection as a condition of being approved, unless the collection doesn't belong to you.

wrong

Retired Lender
Message 4 of 5
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

how old is the medical collection?

i have seen files close with large collections.

Retired Lender
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.