cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collection showing up during USDA Application

tag
playedout

Collection showing up during USDA Application

I'm so mad!  I applied for a USDA direct loan a couple weeks ago - I checked my credit and everything looked good.  I got a copy of my credit report back from the USDA and now I have a collection showing up that was just reported this month from a charge back last year in 2011.  I only owe $117 and can immediately pay it off, but is it even worth going through the process now or am I pretty much screwed?

Edit:  My mid score is 675, so hopefully this will help me?

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
playedout

Re: Collection showing up during USDA Application

Anyone?

Message 2 of 11
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

I'd take steps now to remove it via a PFD letter to the CA.

The damage varies per report. Obviously paying it won't help you any, but a new paid or unpaid collection reporting can ding your score by quite a bit. I'd certainly pull EQ on here if reporting to at least have an idea. Your lender would be using the same version.

Message 3 of 11
germaine47
Frequent Contributor

Did they say if you are pre-approved?   I went USDA Guaranteed so the MB went over my CRA reports personally.  Call the Department personally yourself and see what needs to be done. 

Fico September 2012; TU 681, EX 674, EQ 652
Fako October 2012: TU 706, EX 641,
Message 4 of 11
sophmore
Valued Member

I went USDA Direct and right before I applied I had a collection show up on my report.  It was also under $150.  I could have disputed it because the CA was illegally reporting but my scores were all over 660.  So, I decided to ride it out and see what happened.  It was never an issue because of my scores.  I applied at the end of February and closed mid-July.  By the way I just had the collection removed off of my reports last week. 

Your local field office where you applied should be able to tell you if it is a problem though.  I would check with them to make sure.  I have noticed that different field offices interpret things in different ways. 

Message 5 of 11
playedout

Thanks for the information everyone...I sent in a PFD to the CA so I'll see what happens.  I haven't heard anything from the USDA office about it yet.  I'll give them a call tomorrow and see what they say, hopefully it won't be a problem.

Message 6 of 11
playedout

I contacted the USDA today regarding my status - the collection seemed to be a non-issue.

It may not be that big of a deal after all.

Message 7 of 11
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Let's hope not.  You did opt out right?

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 8 of 11
playedout

I didn't before I applied, but now I have.  

Message 9 of 11
playedout

Well the good news is the CA mailed me a reply that they would remove the collection from my credit report if I pay them.

The bad news is they want me to pay them by tomorrow, which is funny since I only got the letter in the mail yesteday.

Unless they take a credit card over the phone I'm not sure how that would even be possible.  It's almost like the purposly put a early date on it knowing it's nearly impossible to pay them on time.

What a joke.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.