Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Commuity property

tag
nmorton79
Regular Contributor

Commuity property

Good evening to all....

DH and I live in N C, which is not a community property state.  DH is applying for a mortgage on his own because my scores are lower than his, and I am staying home with our baby until he turns 1 in December, so I have no income coming in right now.  My question is since my name wont be on the mortgage, can my name still be on the deed even if we dont live in a community property state?

Thanx in advance for the replies
Live~Laugh~Love

Starting Score: EQ 401, TU430
Current Score: EQ 501, TU 500
Goal Score: 700+ across the board

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Live~Laugh~Love
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Commuity property

Mine is!  And I live in NC. It is a VA loan so I don'tknow if that makes a difference or not.
Message 2 of 4
Lel
Moderator Emeritus

@nmorton79 wrote:
Good evening to all....
DH and I live in N C, which is not a community property state. DH is applying for a mortgage on his own because my scores are lower than his, and I am staying home with our baby until he turns 1 in December, so I have no income coming in right now. My question is since my name wont be on the mortgage, can my name still be on the deed even if we dont live in a community property state?
Thanx in advance for the replies

It is my understanding that regardless of where you live, there is no one-to-one correlation between the name(s) on a deed and the name(s) on a mortgage. There has to be at least one person in common on both, but the names on the deed could be anyone. For example, my wife and I are both on the deed to our house. Our first mortgage has both our names on it, but our HELOC has only me on it. My wife did have to sign some papers at the bank to say that it was okay for the bank to take out a security interest in my name alone, but she's not on the HELOC note.

People (often unwisely) put the names of persons on the deed of the house. For example, grandparents and children are often added to the deed. This is generally felt to be a bad move, because in order to sell the house or refinance you would need to get everyone on the deed to agree. People think that adding people to the deed is the only way to avoid certain estate taxes, but revocable living trusts accomplish the same thing.
Message 3 of 4
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

yes, your name can be on title

Retired Lender
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.