cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Property State and Mortgage Loan???

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Community Property State and Mortgage Loan???

Through looking at the boards, I learned the state I live in (Texas) is a community property state.

I wanted to try to get the loan WITHOUT my husband, even though he has the main income b/c of his defaulted student loans ($40k) that we are trying to repair. I am self employed (and will have the 2 years worth of tax returns by the time we get a house) and although I don't make as nearly as enough as him, it seems it may be our only option at this point.

My question is, what exactly does Community Property mean for a Mortgage Loan? Will they count his debt AND his income, but not his credit? Or do they have to include his credit on there as well? Any elaboration of how this will effect a mortgage loan will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Community Property State and Mortgage Loan???

unfortunately, they will count his debt, but not his credit or income if he is not on a loan.  So, you would have to qulaify based upon your income only, but both of your debts.  The student loans in default probably would not matter, but whatever the nomral payment amount that he would have to pay would be counted towards DTI (along with any other debt he had).
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.