Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Comparison of Loan Programs

tag
Mythic850
Contributor

Comparison of Loan Programs

Two weeks ago I got pre-approved. Since then I've executed a purchase contract and entered escrow a couple of days ago. I need to inform the title company of my lender selection by the end of business Tuesday who my lender is going to be.

Since completing the purchase contract, I've been mortgage shopping and have been approved for several different kinds of mortgages (5% downpayment):

1) 30 year fixed conventional w/PMI (broker 1)
2) 30 year fixed conventional w/interest only option w/PMI (broker 1)
3) 30 year fixed conventional w/lender paid PMI (Countrywide)
4) 75/20/5 piggyback loan with 30 year fixed first (bank)
5) 40 year fixed convential w/PMI (broker 2)

I've run through all the monthly numbers and associated tax deductions and understand these options from the purely financial perspective. The one unknown is the exact terms of the second mortgage with the bank (I pressed them hard to get me info late on Thursday and in the rush they forget to send the details of the second).

What I'm wondering are there any other considerations that should be taken into account when sorting through these options? Specifically, I'm wondering about:

a) pro's and con's of lender-paid PMI over borrower-paid PMI
b) PMI vs piggyback loans (what's the general feel towards piggyback's these days)
c) thoughts on why the bank went with 75/20/5 instead of 80/15/5

My real estate agent keeps telling me to make sure I'm comparing apples to apples, yet none of the lenders are coming back with the same kind of apple.

Any thoughts, insight, guidance is greatly appreciated.
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

Re: Comparison of Loan Programs

Mythic850 wrote:
Two weeks ago I got pre-approved. Since then I've executed a purchase contract and entered escrow a couple of days ago. I need to inform the title company of my lender selection by the end of business Tuesday who my lender is going to be. says who?

Since completing the purchase contract, I've been mortgage shopping and have been approved for several different kinds of mortgages (5% downpayment):

1) 30 year fixed conventional w/PMI (broker 1)
2) 30 year fixed conventional w/interest only option w/PMI (broker 1)
3) 30 year fixed conventional w/lender paid PMI (Countrywide)
4) 75/20/5 piggyback loan with 30 year fixed first (bank)
5) 40 year fixed convential w/PMI (broker 2)

I've run through all the monthly numbers and associated tax deductions and understand these options from the purely financial perspective. The one unknown is the exact terms of the second mortgage with the bank (I pressed them hard to get me info late on Thursday and in the rush they forget to send the details of the second).

What I'm wondering are there any other considerations that should be taken into account when sorting through these options? Specifically, I'm wondering about:

a) pro's and con's of lender-paid PMI over borrower-paid PMI lpmi is included in the rate. so you pay pmi over the life of the loan. bpmi can be dropped after you get to a certain equity point. 79 - 80% ltv
b) PMI vs piggyback loans (what's the general feel towards piggyback's these days) piggybacks are harder to get. but still popular for those who might accellerate that note with extra towards priniple
c) thoughts on why the bank went with 75/20/5 instead of 80/15/5 loan amount?

My real estate agent keeps telling me to make sure I'm comparing apples to apples, yet none of the lenders are coming back with the same kind of apple. they can if you ask them to. first decide what type of loan you want, then ask a couple of lenders to provide a gfe for it.
lenders dont decide what loan you get, you do

Any thoughts, insight, guidance is greatly appreciated.

Retired Lender
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.