Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Conflicting info-VA Loan Reserves

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Conflicting info-VA Loan Reserves

So my VA loan just completed processing and we are about to go into underwriting. My lender has stated that "reserves arent an issue..." and she wrote with paperwork with $7000 in the bank at closing. I will have twice that so I am not worried. However after doing research it seems that I need 6 months PITI in the bank at closing since it is a Jumbo Loan (max in my area $417k). A little information....

Purchase Price-$564,000.

Seller Contributes $6,400 to closing costs.

Closing Costs-$7,000.

No funding Fee.

Locked in at 4%.

Down Payment $37,000.

I own a rental property that is worth $210,000 and I only owe $32,000 (home equity loan). 

I guess the $7,000 covers 2 months as the payments are set to be $2,800. But I have found conflicting info from 0 months, 2 months and 6 months. I just dont want any surprises to come up and if I need 6 months I need to get to work to see if I can make that happen before closing...

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

Re: Conflicting info-VA Loan Reserves

i dont do jumbo va so i dont know their rule. but it could just be that you saw a particular lender's guideline overlays.

what did the loan officer say when you asked about what you read?

Retired Lender
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I emailed stating that I found conflicting evidence and I didnt want to have any surprises. 

She said:

"No, there are many factors that come into play with the VA and I am not needing those reserves.

We are very close to underwriting and they'll review it with a fine tooth comb too but I've validated everything thus far and we are good to go. Apprasial just came in and we are good to go."

This is a lender that does a pre-underwriting before I even got my pre approval from them.

Message 3 of 5
VALoanMaster
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

So my VA loan just completed processing and we are about to go into underwriting. My lender has stated that "reserves arent an issue..." and she wrote with paperwork with $7000 in the bank at closing. I will have twice that so I am not worried. However after doing research it seems that I need 6 months PITI in the bank at closing since it is a Jumbo Loan (max in my area $417k). A little information....

Purchase Price-$564,000.

Seller Contributes $6,400 to closing costs.

Closing Costs-$7,000.

No funding Fee.

Locked in at 4%.

Down Payment $37,000.

I own a rental property that is worth $210,000 and I only owe $32,000 (home equity loan). 

I guess the $7,000 covers 2 months as the payments are set to be $2,800. But I have found conflicting info from 0 months, 2 months and 6 months. I just dont want any surprises to come up and if I need 6 months I need to get to work to see if I can make that happen before closing...

Hi Ashley,

Here is the only time VA requires a specific number of reserves: Rental Income - 

If you're buying a multi-unit property with a VA mortgage -

Verification:  Multi-Unit Property Securing the VA Loan

Verify:

• cash reserves totaling at least 6 months mortgage payments (principal, interest, taxes, and insurance - PITI), and
  • documentation of the applicant’s prior experience managing rental units or other background involving both property maintenance and rental.

For SFR rental properties not secured by the VA loan - 

Verification:  Rental of Other Property Not Securing the VA Loan

Obtain the following:

• documentation of cash reserves totaling at least 3 months mortgage payments (principal, interest, taxes, and insurance - PITI), and
  • individual income tax returns, signed and dated, plus all applicable schedules for the previous 2 years, which show rental income generated by the property.

VA Mortgage Expert. Mortgage Banker lending in All 50 States.
VA, FHA, USDA. Jumbo, Conventional.
CAIVRS Expert.
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you Loan Master.

It was weird...the things I was reading were stating that specifically for single family Jumbo VA loans.

I wonder if it was lender overlay...but even then they had it worded that the VA requires the reserves.

Glad to hear that's not the case!
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.