Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Confused about who can pay for what...

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Confused about who can pay for what...

My fiancee and I are buying a short sale home and we're moving along much quicker than anticipated, which is great. I'm hoping to close next week which would make this 5weeks from from submitting our offer! Smiley Happy

So now it's time cough up some earnest money. My fiancee is the only one on the loan and the LO wants the money to come from her account. That wouldn't be a problem, except she's out of town at the moment and we'd like to keep this moving along. I offered to pay the earnest money, but the LO said since I wasn't on the loan and we weren't married yet, I couldn't because it would be considered a gift. He mentioned something about not being able to apply the earnest money to closing costs not covered by the sellers (we have 100% financing in place).

What's so bad about that? Why does the LO/mortage company care? They're not the ones getting the earnest money! What would happen if I went ahead and paid it anyway?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Confused about who can pay for what...

They want to make sure that she is financially ready to buy a house.  If money for the process is coming from others, perhaps she's not financially ready, and therefore not a good risk to the loan company.

I'm not saying that's the case, but that's the way it could appear.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.