Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Confused on options for $500K Loan

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Confused on options for $500K Loan

I've been working on both my and my wife's credit for a little over a year. We've now gotten to the point of somewhat respectable scores and would like to preliminarly look to see what loan options we would qualify for. 

Of note:

- Combined gross income of $165K. (Entitled to additional $15K bonuses)

- My middle score is 680, hers is 670

- Low DTI - zero credit card debt. One car payment of $500, and one school loan of $300.

- Still have some negatives on both of our credit that I'm trying to get rid of.

We are looking at homes of roughly $525K (East fort lauderdale - unfortunately the going rate)

We do not have 10% to put down. I had been reading about possibly 3% and 5% loan options. The loan officer I spoke to said that the only program they have is for greater than $415K - you had to have a minimum of 10% down and greater than 700 scores. I asked if this was just within her company and she told me that those were freddy/fannie guidelines.

Can someone let me know if that is true. That I have no other option but the 10% down? I'm fairly confident that there is some low hanging fruit I can get rid of in order to get my scores to the 700 needed. I just wasn't anitcipating having to put down 10% as a minimum.

Thank you. Sorry for the long winded post.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Confused on options for $500K Loan

I would think you'd qualify for an FHA loan with 3.5% down.  Also, I'd go with a mortgage broker.  They have a ton more options and they will do what they can to get you a loan you can qualify for.  The LO can only offer you what that particular lender offers.

Message 2 of 4
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

FHA won't go that high in Fort Lauderdale.  The FHA max loan limit for Broward county is $345,000 max loan amount.  

OP is looking for a jumbo loan which is greater than $417k.

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

We are getting a jumbo mortgage after building and I can tell you that 20% down is the norm, even 25% with some lenders. 700 is the minimum low score as well. 

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.