Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Consolidate debt with first time mortgage NOT refinance or equity loan

tag
tryin_to_make_it
Contributor

Consolidate debt with first time mortgage NOT refinance or equity loan

i am looking to purchase my first home.  Can anybody tell me if there are any mortgage companies out there that will allow me to consolidate about $23K in loans and credit card debt in with my first loan.  for example if a house is valued at $180K but it is selling for $150K.  are there any mortgage companies that will give me a loan for $150K + $23K (cards/loans) = $173K.  also i dont want to have to put anything down.  this is still $7k less than the value of the home. 

Starting Score: EQ-556, TU-614
Current Score: EQ-718, TU-768, EX-739
Goal Score: EQ-800, TU-800, EX-800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
beb86
Valued Contributor

Re: Consolidate debt with first time mortgage NOT refinance or equity loan

Pre-2008 absolutely. Now you would have a better chance getting a CLI out of Cap 1. 

Message 2 of 4
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

This is doubtful... you probably will not be able to do this. Best advice; work on paying down your debt and then save for a downpayment. You may be able to consolidate with an unsecured loan from a credit union. Good luck!
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 3 of 4
pdog661
Frequent Contributor

What style of loan are you applying for to purchase your home?

I am not sure about debt consolidation loan with mortgage, but with a cash out loan there are some options if your home appraises well.

You can not cash out more then 85% equity to be considered for FHA, and if you do so within 12 months you they will take the lower amount between the purchase price and the appraisal.

So if you pay 150K for your home and desire to cash out within the first 12 months of owning the home you will need to have paid 22.5k off of the original loan to reach the minimum equity %..  So if you pay off 22.6k you could take the 1k out in a re-fi.

If you wait to month 13 they will look at your appraisal value of the home.  So if you home appraises for 180K and you loan is for 150K your loan to value % would be 83%.  This would allow you 2% cash out of roughly 3K.

With a conventional loan you are looking at needing a 20% equity prior to qualify for a cash out re-fi or debt consolidation. With your example of a purchase price of 150K and a cash out request of 23K your home would have to appraise for 216.5K to get the cash out you need. 

Getting your score above 720 would also greatly help you with interest rates, and a cash re-fi.  Are you Credit Cards below 30% UTL?  This could be a good boast to your score. 

Good luck

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.