cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Construction Loan Question about reserves ...

tag
bmagnant
Valued Member

Construction Loan Question about reserves ...

I've been talking to some mortgage people about construction loans on and off for several months. I finally had what I needed to start discussing a loan with a local broker.

After I sent him my credit reports (I didn't want him to pull new ones yet), financials, etc. he emails me almost right away and tells me I don't have $28,000!  My response is "ummmm no I don't!"

In all my conversations no-one ever mentioned a need for a 10% cash reserve for a construction loan. Everything else looks good, but no cash reserve. I own the land, about $110,000, outright and I had been assured that equity would cover my contributions.

Am I done? Any options out there?  Ideas?

I should say I am NOT trying to skirt the requirements. I am wondering if there are alternatives that do not require that large of a cash reserve.

Brent

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

Re: Construction Loan Question about reserves ...

Each construction program will have it's own guidelines but most do require that you have cash reserves on hand after closing - at least 2 times your proposed payment, and some lenders were requiring 3, 6, 9, 12 and even 18 months of reserves depending on the loan amount.  In addition to the reserves and equity in the land, some lenders actually want you to make a hard money contribution too (usually of at least 5%).  The reason all of these additional requirements are in place is because you are borrowing money on something that doesn't exist yet, a lot of lenders got majorly screwed on construction loans during the easy credit days of yester-year, so you can thank the shady borrowers, loan officers, appraisers, greedy lenders, etc. for causing those guidelines to tighten.  They should have never been super easy in the first place though, I always thought it was amazing that someone could qualify for a construction loan to build their dream home without having any funds out of pocket, money saved up, etc.
Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 2 of 3
bmagnant
Valued Member

Re: Construction Loan Question about reserves ...

@ShanetheMortgageMan wrote:
... They should have never been super easy in the first place though, I always thought it was amazing that someone could qualify for a construction loan to build their dream home without having any funds out of pocket, money saved up, etc.

Well we spent the money on the land and paying down debt to prepare. We probably would have been better off not doing that. This is not a big project, only $240,000... "dream house" was about 3 plans ago. We got down to something we could afford on the last set of plans. Smiley Happy

Thanks for the reply.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.