Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Construction Loan

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Construction Loan

Can someone fix the mess that I have in my head about construction loan and really give me the details. Some people say you have to have 700+ credit score to even get a construction loan , and I read over here that some people with 630+ getting approved for one while under construction and trying to fix their credit in the mean while.
I’m confused. And another question ALL construction loans are at %20?
Is there even banks out there that do FHA construction with %3.5 down?
Thank you y’all!
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
NC_Mtg_Loaner
Valued Contributor

Re: Construction Loan

See if this helps:

A construction to permanent loan is the type of loan that's tougher to qualify for becuase you the consumer are likely to already own your land that you want to contract a private builder to construct for you upon your parcel of land.    Now this assumes you already own your piece of land (hopefully you don't go looking for a loan for that too because you are likely to need 20-50% down depending upon which bank is lending) and have deposited or paid enough money to a construction company in order to pay them to build your house because most traditional mortgage loans aren't secured/colaterallized/funded until the certificate of occupancy is issued which is when everything in the home construction process is complete and then a bank will conduct a closing where a consumer's permanent loan will fund.   A construction loan is often a smaller percentage of the final permanent loan, but enough to get the builder started once combined with your texas-sized cash deposit/down payment with them.    

New Construction loans in Planned Unit Developments are less restrictive since a large developer merely buys a large parcel of acreage and has it subdivide lot by lot as they sell a new home design plan to you.   These deals can be custom but not as difficult as the construction to perm becuase if you don't qualify or fail to close on your home the builder / developer sells the the next guy that comes along...(these new home construction loans can be your conventional or govt. loan programs with anywhere from $0-5% to 20% down payment)

I think the difference between the two highlighted concepts is where your off track...

Licensed NC Mortgage Loan Originator
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you!
I am looking on a lot - it is in a subdivision but already developed. The belongs to a private person. Not a builder.
I would like to put the land into THe construction loan.
Probably all together will take me up to 200k-215k. So 20% is a must ?!
Ugh ... so much!
Message 3 of 10
kc0039
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Thank you!
I am looking on a lot - it is in a subdivision but already developed. The belongs to a private person. Not a builder.
I would like to put the land into THe construction loan.
Probably all together will take me up to 200k-215k. So 20% is a must ?!
Ugh ... so much!

It depends on the lender. My employer will require 15% down, BUT they also require an additional 5% in liquid assets to show for reserves which totals to 20%  and a score of 680 or better. This is only in IL for us.

Licensed in IL
Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah so it’s basiclly the same won’t have to put %20 down but will have to show that you can provide %20.
And I am in AL - all places I’ve talked to ask for %20!
Thank you for your answer
Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

There is an FHA One Time Close loan. It is 3.5% down. You can google it. I actually spoke with a lender about it two weeks ago. It is at a higher rate, even with excellent credit at 5%.
Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I googled it I couldn’t find any lenders
Who did you spoke to ?
Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I believe it was American Financial Network
Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you
Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

We bought land and are now starting the process to build. Our local bank requires 5% down and we are rolling the remainder of our land into our loan. I'm in northern MN and this seems to be pretty standard here. We needed a 680 score but we are in the 700's. I know each state is different.
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.