Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Construction/Mortgage Question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Construction/Mortgage Question

I have question about building and financing a home.  I own property in Kentucky valued at around $40,000 and it's completely paid off.  I was wanting to build a home on it in the range of $180,000 - $200,000.  I planned on putting down an additional $20,000 - $30,000 down, which would mean that I would be financing between $150,000 - $180,000.  I think that the total value of the house and property would be between $220,000 and $240,000.  Currently, I owe about $300 on credit cards and $15,000 on student loans.  I planned on paying both off before I financed the home. 

My credit score from myfico.com is about 750 (ave. of the 3).  The only credit blemishes I have are that, unknowningly, I was a month behind on my payment for the land (when I owed on it) and I was late on a credit card payment.  While I was out of town, my wife paid the land payment later one month and thought that she was paying it on time; however, she was late enough that it was applied to the next month's payment.  Therefore, we were one month behind for four straight months and didn't know it.  I finally discovered it one month while paying some bills.  I immediately contacted the bank and set my payments on electronic debit and paid the loan off within a few months.  This all happened last year, but my credit is still good enough to have a high score.  The thing is that this happened at my local bank and I want to go to them again or someone nearby for a construction loan and mortgage.

With the credit crisis now, I'm worried about what the bank will say.  Does anyone think this will be a big deal?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

Re: Construction/Mortgage Question

You should be fine as long as your debt to income ratio qualifies.
Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 2 of 6
BrianB_The_Loan_Professor
Valued Contributor

Good Luck Construction loans are very hard to find a local bank may be your only option

B

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Brian B The Loan Professor
Mortgage Banker - offering FHA, VA, USDA , and Conventional mortgages in all 50 states -

If I do not respond to a follow up question please feel free to contact me directly
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Brian

why are construction loans harder to get??  What would be the difference in whether its already built or your having it built??

Thanks!

Message 4 of 6
BrianB_The_Loan_Professor
Valued Contributor

Construction loans means the bank has to trust that the job will get completed

There is more risk in that

Plus with the lag time of 6-12 months the market can change and what they started to lend on may no longer be as strong as it was when they started the loan making it more difficult to sell.

Buying from a buolder is different if that is what you are refering to? In that case the bank lends on the completed project

Brian

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Brian B The Loan Professor
Mortgage Banker - offering FHA, VA, USDA , and Conventional mortgages in all 50 states -

If I do not respond to a follow up question please feel free to contact me directly
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Brian that makes sense.  We are looking at actually building and plan to go with our local bank.  Thanks for the info.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.