cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Construction completed! Well, pretty much....

tag
foofighter74
Established Contributor

Re: Updated*The Journey to build our house" Thread

So someone else has gotten it done.  Excellent.  It's not a huge issue...not something i'll be angry about if it's not possible, but we wanted to try. 

Message 61 of 159
foofighter74
Established Contributor

So, lumber is scheduled for delivery tomorrow. 

In addition, the change we wanted to make to the closet in the 4th bedroom has been approved. So, we've selected everything we wanted for the house, made all the changes needed...at this point, all that needs to be done is for the house to get built.  We'll lock in our rate in a few weeks, and go from there.

Message 62 of 159
rehr22
Contributor

Did you ever get the GFE or HUD-1 paperwork?

Starting Score: (2009) EQ = 626 | TU = 664
Current Score: (03-18-2014) EQ = 737 | TU = 703 | EX = 723
Goal Score: 740

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 63 of 159
Mike_B03
Valued Contributor

Wow great that they did the closet change, didnt think they would do that. Seems like they are very communicative too, with you knowing exactly when things will start and get delivered and such. For our house, they arent telling us any of those specifics, I just stop by to see what's new and get surprised. I even thought that there would be a pre-drywall walk thru with the builder but apparently not...I asked the field manager and he said no, they just keep going until its done but if I notice anything to let him know and he can meet me at the site.

Thats a pretty early lock in date if you can lock in a few weeks. I was told 45 days prior to completion of the house.
Message 64 of 159
tooleman694
Valued Contributor

Try to track down the manager guy building your house and ask him for weekly statuses that is what I did.

Message 65 of 159
luckyashes04
New Contributor

Our builder gives us weekly calls, he apparently is supposed to call on wednesday's but normally calls either Thursday or Friday and says " I'm making my Wednesday phone call". Lol I told him I don't care when he does it, the fact that he does it at all is really nice.
Message 66 of 159
Mike_B03
Valued Contributor

Eh, I just poke around other homes on our street that are ahead of ours and that basically tells me what I can expect to see on our house. There is a house that started exactly 1 week before ours and has been pretty much on track with ours, whatever stage theirs is now, ours will be there in 1 week. Then there is another house that is 3 weeks ahead of ours so between those two Im pretty good.

The field manager is very good at answer my questions via phone or email but havent actually met him in person and it doesnt seem like I will, maybe when he house is done?
Message 67 of 159
tooleman694
Valued Contributor

You should meet with him before they drywall, and again a couple times before you close.

Message 68 of 159
Mike_B03
Valued Contributor

I talked to him last week to let him know we will be out of town for a week, since I figured they would be doing drywall during the time that we're gone and I thought we would need to be around for a pre-dry wall walk thru. He said no, there is no pre-dry wall walk thru and that if I notice anything, he will be happy to meet with me at the site but otherwise they keep going until the house is completely done.
Message 69 of 159
foofighter74
Established Contributor

They've got a ton of people available to work on our house as they are literally only building 1 other house in the immediate area at the moment.  So, technically, we are about 60 days from their estimated delivery date.  Assuming any delays, and accounting an overly optimistic delivery date, we are figuring end of June.  We don't have hard wood floors (thankfully) or any tile or anything that might take up some extra time to finish. 

Anyway, our builder does a pre-drywall walkthrough obviously at the appropriate time.  We will look to lock in our interest rate at that time.  The interaction with the builder, and the electrician, and everyone else associated with the builder has been incredible.

However, to answer someone's question - we still do not have a good faith estimate.  There was one presented at the time we applied for our loan, and it i looked it over thoroughly, everything made sense, the amount was about what i'd expected if not a little less, and everything was about what it should have been.  However, we did not receive a copy of it.

In addition, we added $2300  in electrical work which bumped the price of the home up...so our down payment goes up slightly, and we just want to see the new (and final) loan amount reflected in the estimate. Unfortunately, the loan officer we have, who seemed completely in control, is becoming a pain in the a#s because she doesn't seem to think that it's important for us to have even an estimate of figures when the house is just starting to get built.

I believe there is a form that you can sign when you're building a new home that states that you don't necessarily need to have a GFE with every little change you make - thus protecting the lender from having to do a new one every time you add a wall outlet or cable connection or anything else, but we didn't sign one of those and since we didnt' get a copy after applying (law states you're supposed to have it within 3 days), we assumed we would get one now that everything has been finalized.

Honestly, all I really care about is getting a confirmation that we will have to bring the balance of our down payment to closing and that's about it.  I dont even need a sheet of paper in front of me.  It was just a simple question that I happened to ask at the beginning of last week and i was told we'd have the answer today.

I came in today, gave them 5 hours of the work day, and when I got no response, i called the LO.  Things got a little heated. lol

Message 70 of 159
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.