cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Construction completed! Well, pretty much....

tag
foofighter74
Established Contributor

Re: Updated*The Journey to build our house" Thread

Lumber, windows, front door, insulation, etc was delivered to our lot yesterday.  Not exactly sure when they begin framing, but there is another house at the other end of our street that is actually a bigger floorplan than ours, and the framing was done in almost no time.  We're still on track for early June at this point.

Message 71 of 159
foofighter74
Established Contributor

They've begun framing.  No rain so far today...they actually started last friday, but it was pretty rainy.  Took the kids over to the lot over the weekend as they hadn't been out there since the grading had been done and the lumber was delivered. Lots of water and mud around, but a bunch of workers were out there this morning and looked as though they'd been at it long before i drove by. 

So, hopefully they can get some dry weather this week and make some progress.  I will thoroughly enjoy the new house once it's finished...but I really just want the entire process to be done and over with. lol

Message 72 of 159
Mike_B03
Valued Contributor

Where are you located again? The rain sucks...Id be all worried on how it would affect the house if it rains on the bare frame etc.
With our house, it has rained only twice since they started construction in late January. First time was after the foundation was poured and dried, so it just rained on the concrete slab and the second time it rained after the roof and walls were already up.
Message 73 of 159
foofighter74
Established Contributor

Central New York.  In terms of the rain, any framing lumber used is going to be treated and you'd have to saturate the wood for weeks on end with water to push it's moisture level beyond acceptability.  So unless your lumber is sitting on a lot in standing water or something, there really isn't much to be concerned with as far as that goes.  Assuming the house is allowed to dry out before it's wrapped up or sealed and insulated, there shouldn't be any issues with rain. 

However, usually with the rain comes wind and sometimes, thunderstorms.  So the workers aren't going to be out in a thunderstorm, obviously, if it's too windy, they're not going to be framing or up working on a roof. 

That being said, the first floor was essentially framed yesterday, and they started on the second floor.  They've completed the framing work on the only other house in the area they are currently building, which happens to be just down the street from us...so we're expecting the framing to be done by Monday at the latest. 

Message 74 of 159
foofighter74
Established Contributor

They simply need to finish the roof, put the front door, and garage door in and that stage will be complete.  They got a lot done in three days and the rain has held off for the most part all week. 

At this rate, we could have our pre-drywall meeting relatively soon.

Message 75 of 159
Mike_B03
Valued Contributor

Wow they are already at the stage to put the garage door and front door on? Maybe that's gets done at a different stage than here but those dont go on until quite a bit afterwards here, well after the exterior stucco is done and the interior drywall is done.

Message 76 of 159
foofighter74
Established Contributor

I don't think the front door will be on for a while. As for the garage door, i'm guessing that will be on in another week, week and a half.  I'm just going by how they've done it for the other houses i've seen built in the development. 

I don't know if they are there working today or not, but judging by how much they've completed already...it's looking more and more like that June 5th estimated completion date isn't far-fetched.

Message 77 of 159
foofighter74
Established Contributor

All windows are installed.  The sliding glass door off the morning room is installed.  Yesterday, they put the sheathing on the roof, and the front door is now installed. 

I should point out that this is not a huge house, and we aren't getting hard wood floors (hate them with the fire of a thousand suns lol), or any kind of tile flooring. In addition, we are only one of two customers having homes built in the immediate area.  They've got a development full of condo's - those have already been built.  In addition, there are two other housing developments from the same builder within a couple miles of ours, but one of is almost completely full, and the other is just getting started.

After seeing so much rain in the forecast the last couple of weeks, i've been amazed that there hasn't been much.  Now that the roof is covered, i'm not really worried about it.  They can actually poor the basement floor now.

Message 78 of 159
foofighter74
Established Contributor

The HVAC people were there on Sunday.  Also, there were some people in the house saturday doing something, but i couldn't see much. 

Message 79 of 159
foofighter74
Established Contributor

Scheduled an appointment to have central air installed by the same company that does it for our builder.  THe difference? Contacting them directly and scheduling the appointment shortly after closing will cost $1600 less than the builder charges.

Awesome.

Message 80 of 159
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.