cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Construction completed! Well, pretty much....

tag
Mike_B03
Valued Contributor

Re: Updated*The Journey to build our house" Thread

Interesting how things are done in other parts of the country. Here I bet you couldn't get a house without central air even if you wanted. Smiley Very Happy

How do they add it later? Dont the ducts and air opening have to be done/built-in when the framing goes up, before the drywall?

Message 81 of 159
foofighter74
Established Contributor

You can add central air to most houses that don't already have it, though the older the house, and the older the heating system, the harder it is.

With an existing forced air system, which is what they're putting in our house, the furnace ducts are already there.  They really don't need to change the duct work much in most cases.  Sometimes, they'll have to upgrade the furnace blower to push the cool air around, but you're mostly paying for labor and equipment in this situation rather than ductwork and such. 

Message 82 of 159
foofighter74
Established Contributor

Basement has been poured...the garage door is now on, most of the electricity and plumbing has been done.  Predrywall meeting scheduled for monday, and we should know then what our final walkthrough and closing date will be - or at least, a pretty accurate estimate. 

We should be looking to lock in our interest rate as well. 

Message 83 of 159
foofighter74
Established Contributor

So, we are locked in at 3.25 % (on the high side...if the rate goes down, we can float down assuming it happens within a set window before closing).  The pre-drywall walkthrough was yesterday, and the project manager said they will start drywall by the end of the week.  He said it will take a day to do the entire house. Again, about 2,000 square feet...not a massive house. 

Bathtubs are in, the floor of the garage was poured and completed...and we were also told the siding would be done on the house within a couple weeks.  I'm supposed to get an email today from the project manager as to the house completion date and likely closing date.  The project manager says we are still on track for early to mid-June. 

Message 84 of 159
Mike_B03
Valued Contributor

3.25% isn't on the high side...I don't think I've seen lower than that for a 30 yr loan.

Message 85 of 159
foofighter74
Established Contributor

We may soon though.  Rates are creeping down again, and our lender's facebook page has hinted that they may be offering 3% for 30 year FHA, no points soon.  That would be even better!

Message 86 of 159
Mike_B03
Valued Contributor

Wow that would be crazy! Maybe we should have waited to lock. :/

Message 87 of 159
Autumnslight
Frequent Contributor

Wow, that's awesome progress! I bet you close before we even break ground. Smiley Happy

Scores:
07/29/12: EX FICO (Amex) 684 | EQ MyFICO 631 | TU Walmart 695
Current: EX FICO (MyFICO) 733 | EQ (MyFICO) 683 | TU (Walmart) 745

First Goal: 700+ across the board - Got it on EX & TU!!!
Message 88 of 159
foofighter74
Established Contributor

Certainly possible.  I'm just looking forward to the process being over with. lol

Message 89 of 159
playboy
Regular Contributor

Foo we need pics bro.  That'll help to better illustrate the story.

Starting Score: EX 575/TU 534/EQ 570
Current Scores per Myfico: (As of 12-14-13) EX 690/EQ 685/TU 679
Goal Score: 720

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 90 of 159
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.