Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Construction mortg

tag
chrissy122g
Valued Member

Construction mortg

We are working w/ BOA....I am told to go with a 10/ ARM interest only...hubby is only one going on loan for now as his scores are over 700...mine are still below....we plan on refinancing after mine is over 700 ( hopefully within a year or so) what is my advantages or disadvantages going w/ this loan?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

Re: Construction mortg

When you say "this loan" are you referring to it being a construction mortgage or the program being a 10/1 Interest Only?
Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 2 of 4
chrissy122g
Valued Member

Exactly........10/1 ARM intrest only.....it doesnt seem to make sense to me...but thats not my field....
Message 3 of 4
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

Well if you are going to refinance soon after the initial loan program wouldn't be as important than if you were going to stay in that original mortgage program.  However you always have to think worst case scenario, and that is if you don't refinance afterwards, be it that your scores couldn't get to where you think they'd be, a sudden medical issue, rates go up and it's not worth refinancing, etc.  Interest only scares people off because some think that they can never pay down their balance, but that isn't true as it's an interest only option, not a required interest only payment.  What concerns me more is that it's a 10/1 ARM, meaning 10 years from now you would face a rate adjustment and in order to avoid it would need to refinance.  Now in 10 years the real estate market is likely to turn around so refinancing is probably going to be a strong possibility, but nothing is guaranteed.  I'd check out what the rate is on a 30-year fixed as a comparison, it should be pretty close to the 10/1 ARM.
Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.