Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Constructions Loans

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Constructions Loans

Are construction loans available and what scores do it take to get them. EQ-683, TU710

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Constructions Loans

Just did this in April 2010 in CT. A lot of banks don't do them and their rates and packages vary wildly. They're considered high-risk loans and I think it's MUCH harder to get a construction loan than other kinds of loans. I don't know what score you need--I was in the 8s and lucky enough to have a lot of equity on the property. I needed to show that I had 10% of the construction costs in cash and on hand for overruns. Just about everyone requires you to show 10% cost overrun in savings. I also got nailed for 0.25 point above their 30-year rates at the time, which was just what this particular bank did. Others don't let you lock in or give you the same rate for a construction-to-permanent. My advice is to go with the local bank.

In hindsight if I could possibly have done a refi or a home equity loan I might have. Mine was a tear down and rebuild. Once the loan closed, though, no problems. Though my credit has taken a hit after this.

Good luck!

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Constructions Loans

I am doing a FHA 203k rehab loan. This loan provides the funds for purchase and rehab and regular FHA guidelines and credit score rules apply. You can purchase anything from a single family up to a 4 unit property with the loan.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.