Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Convential vs FHA

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Convential vs FHA

Ok apparently the NIFA (down payment) program I want to use will let you get either type of loan. but I'm confused.

What's the main differences??.   

Originally I was going to use FHA.   But the house I'm looking at needs some work and my realtor (my uncle) says it probably won't qualify for FHA because of the roof and stuff....things my husband is capable of doing himself.   The house is vacant and short sale.....been on market for 168 days so far.  

I've seen things that say you can do conventional with a low down payment - which is what I need with this program because I can only get 5% from NIFA.....but I guess I don't understand the differences in a nutshell.

Can someone explain for me? ...I don't know the mortgage scores yet.....but I'm going to pull later in the month - I know that I need a 640 to do the program.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Re: Convential vs FHA

Both FHA and conventional mortgages require the home to be in good enough condition to finance the property.

FHA is a lower down payment 3.5% although there is such a thing as a conventional mortgage with only 3% down. The main differences between the two:

• your DTI ratios for a conventional mortgage are lower 
  • the interest rate on a conventional mortgage will be higher if your score is below 680 (usually) 
  • mortgage insurance for conventional loans is higher if your score is below 680 and you have to go through a whole separate process to get PMI whereas mortgage insurance for FHA is automatically included if you qualify for the loan 

The appraiser for both conventional and FHA mortgages looks at the condition of the property. However, the appraiser doing the appraisal inspection for an FHA type mortgage will have a much more detailed checklist.  Also FHA has a new handbook out (see stickies) and the list of what the appraiser needs to check is very extensive. The rationale behind this list is to make sure that a borrower doesn't purchase a "money pit" type house and not have the funds to make the mortgage payment. 

The roof is a critical component. Usually FHA wants at least  5 years remaining life for the roof. If you know that it needs replacement now you can either have the seller replace it (not likely with a short sale) or get 203k type financing where you borrow enough to replace the roof and do additional repairs after closing. Your husband would NOT be able to do the work. The bank wants a licensed roofing professional that is approved by the bank and 203k construction rep and a permit for roof replacement. 

From what I have seen, you would run into this issue with a conventional loan too if the roof is leaking especially with a high LTV conventional loan.

Also have the LO run the figures for you between the two types of loans to compare interest rates and closing costs. 

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Convential vs FHA

It's not leaking - as far as we can tell and from talking with neighbors.  (we used to live near there so we didn't have any problem hollering at the lady on the front porch next door - good thing too - gots lots of info on the house that way)

My uncle is gong to take us through it this weekend -  he's my realtor and an appraiser.....so I'll probably get a pretty decent opinion.  

I've been killing myself to get my scores up but I wouldn't make bets on being in 680 territory - close maybe depending - I was going to pull mortgage scores later this month - waiting for my card to report because it will change my UTIL %.   My son offered to pay off my tax lien - trying to decide if I want to take him up on the offer - it's my last baddie! 

Honestly - we were going to wait about 4 months or so to get a house -but this one is a floor plan we like in the neighborhood we really want to be in - so it's worth a look.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.