Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Conventional Loan

tag
beegeez
Established Member

Conventional Loan

My family home is in my wife's name.  It's an FHA loan.  Her credit is too poor to refinance (and now that she works less (kids) she doesn't make enough money).  I'd like to refinance into a conventional under my name.  4 questions: 

1. Could I cash out some equity to pay down other higher interest debts?
  2. What sort of credit score will I need to qualify for a conventional?
  3. Would it be considered a refi if it was going from an FHA in my wife’s name, to a conventional in my name?
  4. Would a down payment be required?  If so, could it be rolled into the new conventional loan?
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Conventional Loan

I am not sure about the answers to your questions, but I do know that there is an FHA program called a streamline refinance that doesn't take into account credit. I would talk to a mortgage broker about it because it is actually a pretty good deal. I went with a conventional loan, but I seriously looked at an FHA loan for the convenience of the streamline refinance. From what I understand about the streamline refinance, the closing costs are actually covered and you don't have to do any type of appraisal. I am not 100% sure how they take into account income, but its probably worth a shot!

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.