cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Convert an AU to a joint account holder- advised to post here from general board

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Convert an AU to a joint account holder- advised to post here from general board

Hello-
I love reading this forum- so many people are very intelligent and give great advice on credit matters! I am hoping that someone will have some insight on a question that I have.
My fiance has NO credit history. We tried to get his credit scores, and it came up saying that they didn't have enought data to formulate one. He has one recent negative on his CR's- a collection on a medical bill that his insurance didn't pay for ($100), that we somehow missed paying- I am either going to try to PFD or try to see if we can still pay the original creditor and get the collection taken off. He is an AU of 3 of my cards- a Chase platinum ($400 CL; $19 balance), a Wells Fargo Platinum ($9000 CL, $1000 balance) and my Amex ($7000 CL, $600 balance). Amex is the only one that shows up on his CRs.

We want to apply for a mortgage within the next 3 months. I have read a lot on this board, and from what I have read it sounds like being an  AU does not help your Fico score anymore. I am afraid to have him try to apply for credit cards, because I don't know if he would get approved, and even if he did it would not help in time for us to get a mortgage. My Wells Fargo credit account is almost 7 years old, and has a perfect payment history. Would it be possible for me to add him as a joint account user to this account (instead of being just an AU)? If I did so would it change the length of account history? And if we were joint account holders would his (NO) credit history effect my FICO score?

My Fico (average- I can't remember what it was for each CRA)score is 720, but I am hoping that will go up soon. We recently (about 10 days ago) paid down the WF card from a balance of $7500 ($9000 credit limit) to a $1000 balance, and we paid down the Amex (only a little over 6 months old Sad ) from about a $1800 balance (it was a $5000 CL then- just got a CLI to $7000) to $600, but the CRA's are not showing that updated info yet.

I understand the risks of joint accounts. But he has been an authorized user on my cards for a while now, and nothing bad has happened. In fact he very rarely ever uses the cards, and he tells me every time he makes a purchase (like $20 for gas). My fiance has no credit history because he didn't want to get into CC debt. He is 28 (I am 25), but he has always paid for everything with cash or with his debit card. He has never had any auto loans (he has a truck, but he paid a private party cash payments; he owns it free and clear now). I am glad that he didn't rack up a lot of CC debt, but it sucks that he has no credit right now!

I know my credit is pretty good, but I cannot qualify for a mortgage on my own w/o his income being included. And even after we (hopefully!!) qualify for a mortgage I would like to try to help him establish good credit so he can obtain credit on his own in the future.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks!

edited to say (since this is the loan forum): we are trying to get a new home build for $160,000 in Phoenix/metro area. We have $20,000 available for a down payment. i hope this info helps.

Message Edited by as985 on 12-03-2007 10:26 PM
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Convert an AU to a joint account holder- advised to post here from general board

First, get married BEFORE you get a mortgage together, and really you should get married before adding your soon to be DH as an AU or joint holder. Seen a couple of folks report a relationship going in the toilet BEFORE wedded bliss, and one party getting stuck with a bunch of the other's debt.

AU status is still helping him, if they are reporting. Has he pulled his CRs to see for himself? If not, have him pull them, FOC, at annualcreditport.com

I know from personal experience that Wells Fargo tends to be easy to convert to joint status, at least for a spouse. Don't know if they get all preachy or anything for folks shacking up. I don't believe AMEX does joint accounts, at least not anymore, but give 'em a call and ask. Chase might or might not do joint. But do ask.

Lenders are fairly hungry to make loans, and if you have good credit and he has a "thin file", then it's likely y'all would get a good deal.

If his PIF truck is of recent vintage, he could get a loan on it, stick the money in savings, let the loan report, add a good TL to his CRs, then PIF the truck loan. He'd only incur the cost of the loan papers, usually around $10, and the month or two of interest.

Message Edited by Noah_Bodie on 12-06-2007 02:55 PM
Message 2 of 3
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

Re: Convert an AU to a joint account holder- advised to post here from general board

I would add something about improving his credit but Noah covered it all... and then some.  as985, how much income do you make and what are your monthly debts?  DTI's up to 64.99% can still qualify for good rates, especially with a $20k down payment on a $160k home.  When are you crazy kids (OK, I'm only 29) getting married?
Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.