Counter offer stipulations?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Counter offer stipulations?

@StartingOver10 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@StartingOver10 wrote:

U/W don't really talk to consumers. Your LO is your advocate.  You can ask your LO if the u/w will speak to you, but really this is one instance where having the LO between you and the u/w is a great idea.

This LO leaves much to be desired. Seems to be advocating for the CU rather than us. Very poor communication skills

So sorry. That makes it really, really difficult for you. I wish I knew the solution here

Dallas and deepzy - and other LO's - what would you suggest for the OP in this situation?

We're strongly considering letting both lenders proceed and paying the appraisal fees for both to see which pans out best.

Message 11 of 18
ezdriver
Senior Contributor

When applicants are asked to CLOSE cc accounts, it is generally due to the borderline strength of the file. The underwriter is concerned that a paid-down cc can be run up again the day after closing. I don't think it is a weird or crazy condition.

Message 12 of 18
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@ezdriver wrote:

When applicants are asked to CLOSE cc accounts, it is generally due to the borderline strength of the file. The underwriter is concerned that a paid-down cc can be run up again the day after closing. I don't think it is a weird or crazy condition.

And what's to prevent said consumer just opening up another CC in today's market once keys are in hand?  That's absolutely no predictor of future consumer behavior and unless I'm mistaken the lender can't pull the mortgage back on a review, just if it goes sideways in the six months till they can dump it elsewhere then it's a problem and this particular mandate doesn't help.

Maybe that made sense in downturns, but it doesn't right now when looked at rationally I think.  I'm a little more hardcore than most folks when it comes to FICO scoring, but if I had an anchor tradeline I actually cared about (30 year positive credit card, you'd have to pry that from my cold dead fingers) but if it necessitated finding a different lender I would.  That's me.

Good grief, of course credit cards are going to be run up post closing, most people just spent whatever assets they had getting into the house with very few exceptions, and unless they're downsizing, they're going to need something like a couch even if they don't need to do some immediate repairs.  Really doesn't make sense Smiley Happy.

        
Message 13 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@ezdriver wrote:

I have to agree with revelate. Plus, the cards they have targeted aren't any ones particular, some with high balances, others with almost noting. Over $200K in total limits with $30K balances which are what we planned to pay off. They DIDN't include $10-12K of the cards with balances??? We're puzzled.

Like I said previously, we may let both run their course

Message 14 of 18
ezdriver
Senior Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

@ezdriver wrote:

And what's to prevent said consumer just opening up another CC in today's market once keys are in hand?  That's absolutely no predictor of future consumer behavior and unless I'm mistaken the lender can't pull the mortgage back on a review, just if it goes sideways in the six months till they can dump it elsewhere then it's a problem and this particular mandate doesn't help.

Maybe that made sense in downturns, but it doesn't right now when looked at rationally I think.  I'm a little more hardcore than most folks when it comes to FICO scoring, but if I had an anchor tradeline I actually cared about (30 year positive credit card, you'd have to pry that from my cold dead fingers) but if it necessitated finding a different lender I would.  That's me.

Good grief, of course credit cards are going to be run up post closing, most people just spent whatever assets they had getting into the house with very few exceptions, and unless they're downsizing, they're going to need something like a couch even if they don't need to do some immediate repairs.  Really doesn't make sense Smiley Happy.

Your arguments are irrelevant to an underwriter. Their rules and guidelines do not have to make sense. Buyers can always choose to move on to another lender if they can't change an underwriter's mind. Only the underwriter has the borrower's complete file in front of them so I cannot comment on the WHY behind the underwriter's request.

Message 15 of 18
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@ezdriver wrote:

@Revelate wrote:

@ezdriver wrote:

Your arguments are irrelevant to an underwriter. Their rules and guidelines do not have to make sense. Buyers can always choose to move on to another lender if they can't change an underwriter's mind. Only the underwriter has the borrower's complete file in front of them so I cannot comment on the WHY behind the underwriter's request.

Not my point, couldn't care less regarding a particular UW.

We know that there are lenders which don't do this, and as such it's UW or lender specific.  Either way, it's therefore obviously not set in stone by the Lord and Lady of Mortgages, and I was therefore pointing out why it was ridiculous rather than attempting to make sense of any random UW on whatever random crappy day they're having.  

Admittedly UW will do what UW wants, but that doesn't mean their actions aren't subject to criticism by the peanut gallery.

What fun would this forum let alone life be if there weren't a difference of opinion anyway? Smiley Happy

        
Message 16 of 18
iv
Valued Contributor

Revelate wrote:

set in stone by the Lord and Lady of Mortgages

Oh boy... do you know what you've started?

Now Ginnie and Sallie will demand at least knighthoods, and Farmer Mac will start a revolt to enforce Article I, Section 9, Clause 8...

...sorry.

On topic: No, that's not common, but we did have one bank request card closures while doing a home equity loan back in 2002.  We declined their offer, and moved to a different bank who didn't even mention the cards.  Nor had any other bank before (or since).

I'd suggest a different LO, or even a different bank entirely.

EQ8:850 TU8:850 EX8:850
EQ9:847 TU9:847 EX9:839
EQ5:797 TU4:807 EX2:813 - 2021-06-06
Message 17 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

This week I plan to meet with the LO and present my own counteroffer which will replace the 30yo card with another relatively new card. I'm clueless if this is usually done and how successful it it may be but, if not, we'll move on and proceed with the other lender who has already pre-approved us. I'm not opposed to close a handful of accounts, just not the seemingly capricious selection by the UW.

Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.