Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Countrywide

tag
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Countrywide

We were recently visiting the Houston, TX area during Christmas and noticed Countrywide offices everywhere with a mention of "Banking Centers" within their name. I'm pleading dumb on this one, and I know they still are in biz as evidenced by recent posts, but weren't they gobbled up by BofA? Were they a bank too?

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Countrywide

Okay, I *think* I might be able to answer this one (sorta). We're using CountryWide for our home loan (though they're on shaky ground -- we might end up going with Quicken - I dunno).

CountryWide Home Loans is a subsidy (or whatever you call it) of Countrywide Financial Services. They ARE a bank -- they offer savings, checking, the whole nine yards (homeowner's insurance, too). According to several sites I found (when DH said "We're using these guys" I did oodles of research), while they have been bought out by BoA, they're still operating under their own steam. CountryWide will stay branded as CW.

In fact, it's scuttlebutt that if any employees have been shown the door, its been BoA employees, not original CW employees.

How all that pans out, I dunno. Frankly, I like BoA and the fact that they bought out CW was the only reason DH hasn't been sleeping on the couch. I'm also hoping that once 2010 rolls around (when BoA is "expected" to really have a hand in CW's daily ops), it'll put us in the catbird's seat vis a vis CCs and such.
Message 2 of 3
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Countrywide

Ah, I see. You learn something new everyday.
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.