Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Couple, FICO Scores, Home Loans

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Couple, FICO Scores, Home Loans

If you are an unmarried couple buying a home, do all lenders use one individual's FICO score to in effect "set" your loan interest rate? More specifically, when our three credit reports were pulled, my middle score of the three reports was in the upper 700s and my significant other's middle FICO score was just below 700. We were told that his middle score (the lower middle score from the two home buying partners) must be used to set our interest rate rather than say my scores or an average of his scores/my scores.  Do all lenders follow this same procedure or should we be looking for a lender who will consider both scores/are there lenders that would consider both scores?
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
ujocka
Valued Member

Re: Couple, FICO Scores, Home Loans

The lower middle score of the two applicants seems to be the way things are done now. Seems to be the lenders excuse not to offer you their best rate. Odd to me that you could have anywhere from an 850 down to a 700, but if your spouses score is 699, yours are irrelevent for the rate.
From Chapter 13 discharge and low 500s in 2015 to EQ: 781 TU: 767 EX: 794 in 2017...Make your vision your reality.
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.