ely99

Couple, FICO Scores, Home Loans

If you are an unmarried couple buying a home, do all lenders use one individual's FICO score to in effect "set" your loan interest rate? More specifically, when our three credit reports were pulled, my middle score of the three reports was in the upper 700s and my significant other's middle FICO score was just below 700. We were told that his middle score (the lower middle score from the two home buying partners) must be used to set our interest rate rather than say my scores or an average of his scores/my scores.  Do all lenders follow this same procedure or should we be looking for a lender who will consider both scores/are there lenders that would consider both scores?
Established Member
ujocka

Re: Couple, FICO Scores, Home Loans

The lower middle score of the two applicants seems to be the way things are done now. Seems to be the lenders excuse not to offer you their best rate. Odd to me that you could have anywhere from an 850 down to a 700, but if your spouses score is 699, yours are irrelevent for the rate.
Too many good docs are getting out of the business. Too many OB-GYNs aren't able to practice their love with women all across this country." --President George W. Bush

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+