Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Court ordered assisgnment of debt

tag
Peanut2010

Court ordered assisgnment of debt

Hi All,

I am going to be applying soon for a conventional mortgage.  I have a Collections on my credit from years ago, from a previous marriage.   I was doing some research about this and came across this on the Fannie Mae website :  B3-6-05: Monthly Debt Obligations (12/16/2014)  it says this:  Court Ordered Assignment of Debt    -  When a borrower has oustanding debt that was assigned to another party by court order(such as under a divorce decree or separation agreement) and the creditor does not release the borrower from liability, the borrower has a contingent liability.  The lender is not required to count this contingent liability as part of the borrower's recurring monthly debt obligations.

The lender is not required to evaluate the payment history for the assigned debt after the effective date of assignment.  The lender cannot disregard the borrower's payment history for the debt before its assignment.

1. Am I reading this correctly?  to me this sound like lender has to ignore this  (collections) because of the fact that I have a divorce decree stating that this is to be paid by my ex. 

2. I believe that they are allowed to look (payment history) at it before the divorce became final on 4/08 - (which if this is the case, is ok because credit was great at the time) it was from 2009-10 when he quit paying.

Any thoughts?

Starting Score: 666
Current Score: 676
Goal Score: 728

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

Re: Court ordered assisgnment of debt

how much is it?

if approved thru automated underwriting it will likely be ignored if approved

Retired Lender
Message 2 of 5
Peanut2010

how much is it?

if approved thru automated underwriting it will likely be ignored if approved

The amount is $2218.00... will soon find out it it is ignored applying tomorrow!

Starting Score: 666
Current Score: 676
Goal Score: 728

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 3 of 5
Lemmus
Established Contributor

..."is not required" is the key ...FHA doesn't require it but the lender may ...is that 640 your FICO 4 mortgage mid score or the FICO 8 normally shown on myFico?

Helpful Links: Do I Qualify? | Mortgage Calculator | USDA Mortgages | Opt Out | FICO Versions
Last HP: 11/04/15 | myFico 3B Jun 10 '15:FICO8 EQ - 752 | TU - 763 | EX - 750
Message 4 of 5
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

lemmus is right

some lenders wantthem paid. but there are other lenders.... this should always be an up front question for the lender before you apply

Retired Lender
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.