Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Card Charges prior to closing

tag
kleahc
New Contributor

Credit Card Charges prior to closing

I got the "clear to close" on my home loan (traditional, 20% down, no PMI). Closing date is the 6th, 6 days form now. I know better than to charge anything large on credit cards pror to closing without the go-ahead. So, I asked my loan officer if I could put the downpayment amount for new flooring for th house on my credit card (to speed up the process of getting the flooring done) and she said "yep, no problem!"

I haven't actually done it yet though. It makes me very nervous to make such a charge on my card this close to closing. 

Has anyone else been told by their mortgage officer that this kind of purchase was ok the week before closing?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Credit Card Charges prior to closing

How much of a difference will waiting a week to make that down payment make?

Message 2 of 7
kleahc
New Contributor

I laugh- that is exactly what husband said! It just means that we have to leave all of our furniture in storage (so can't really move in) for an extra week (the flooring place charges almost $1,000 more if they have to move your furniture) So we have to spend 2 weeks with nothing but mattresses and hanging clothes. 

Which I know is better that having the mortgage fall through!! But I was just 100% surprised to have the loan officer say "yep- go for it". That seemed to go againast everything I have ever read, right?

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

It is odd, but honestly you've got 20% down payment which really can (and does) supercede almost everything else.  That's a massive down payment compared to most mortgages and your loan officer probably knows the fudge factor in your credit score even if a huge payment was credited to one credit card.

I assume you'd use an already open line of credit or card?  If so, it probably won't even report anytime soon, right?

If waiting a week costs you $0 but some sleeping in a camping sleeping bag, I'd say wait a week anyway. 

Patience is prosperity!

When I bought my current home, I tore out my kitchen over 6 weeks -- and lived without a kitchen for a year in order to snag literally the best pricing for everything I needed.  Had to wash my dishes in the bath tub, lol.  But I think I saved over $11,000 versus putting everything on a Lowes 0% card or whatever people love doing.  I hated not having a kitchen, I love the money in my pocket.  If you can patiently wait even a week to increase value (meaning, risking a mortgage would decrease value) at little to no cost but emotions, do it!

Message 4 of 7
kleahc
New Contributor

Thanks- you are absolutely right, and I am going to have to tell my inner child to be patient. :-)

Thanks!

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I hate my inner child daily but so far the parenting side is being proven right more and more, haha!

Report back -- with photos -- once those floors are in!

Message 6 of 7
DollyLama
Established Contributor

Have they done a rapid rescore already prior to closing?

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.