cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Card Debt Passed SOL, Still On Report, Can I get Mortgage?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit Card Debt Passed SOL, Still On Report, Can I get Mortgage?

- How did you owe this money?

In 2007 after discharged from the military, I went to work part time for a small construction company. One day the boss asked me to apply for a Chase Bank business credit card on-line for the company. Being young and stupid and too lazy to read the fine-print of the web application, I unknowingly provided my personal information and became the "co-signer" to the card. Yeah, I know, like I said I was stupid. I found out about this 2 years later in 2009 when the company, I no-longer worked for, defaulted on the card and the debt collectors started rining my phone 24/7 for a massive $25,000 debt they ran up. I was still a student back then and there was no way I can pay this off. I tried to get the company to pay up, but the company was themselves bankrupted. So I was left holding the bag at the end. This was the only bad mark on my credit history. I have never defaulted or paid late on any of my other loans.

- What now?

The debot collectors eventually stopped calling, and the debt charged off in 2013. On my credit reports, it shows the date of last payment was Oct 2009. By now, 2015, the debt has passed the SOL of 3 years for Delware (where Chase Bank based). I live in NY, so DE SOL governs (NYS CPLR 202). By the end of next year, 2016, it will be 7 years and the record will drop off from my reports all together. My credit scores are all in the 730s range. I now have a graduate degree in engineering and have a stable job for the past 4 years. Our family annual income is about $66,000. We have no other debt. 

- What do you want to know?

Well my wife and I just had two babies and it's getting crowded. So we would like purchase a co-op here in NYC. The price is around $200k to $250k, and we saved a downpayment of about $100k. So we are looking to borrow $100k to $150k. Do I even have a chance here, since the credit report is still showing the debt? During the mortage loan application process, will I be given a chance to explain what happened and that SOL has passed etc?

Thank you for your help.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Lemmus
Established Contributor

Re: Credit Card Debt Passed SOL, Still On Report, Can I get Mortgage?

...you have a very large dp, good credit, good payment records, sound income and decent prospects ...I'd find a realtor, let her point you to a couple of lenders she has worked with, then talk to the LOs ...its quite possible that you could get through the automated system since its old revolving debt already accounted for in your credit scores ...nor should it count in your DTIRs since its charged off ...if you get a balk at one LO, find another ...hth

Helpful Links: Do I Qualify? | Mortgage Calculator | USDA Mortgages | Opt Out | FICO Versions
Last HP: 11/04/15 | myFico 3B Jun 10 '15:FICO8 EQ - 752 | TU - 763 | EX - 750
Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Credit Card Debt Passed SOL, Still On Report, Can I get Mortgage?

Sounds promising. Thank you so much for the insights.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.