Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Card usage after preapproval

tag
rckstrscott
Valued Contributor

Credit Card usage after preapproval

Ok; so I had a question

I was preapproved this week for a mortgage. All the due dilligence was performed, bank statements funrnished, credit reports ran.. everything is good to go.

My DTI ratio is really solid, but there is a slight chance I may have to make a fairly decent purchase on a credit card, which would add about 100 in payments and probably drop my credit score a little (util would go from 6 percent to 50) -- I am trying to avoid it right now, but it MAY be inevitable... I really don't know if it would impact things too much but I have leary, and maybe rightfully so...

At what point is it okay to start using credit again?? Lets say I make an offer this week on a home and send it to underwriting. Do I want to wait til the keys are in hand? Do I wait til they run my credit report again? Will the bank base my payments on what is reporting or will the require recent statments? I didn't have to do that for preapproval (the credit card statements)

What are some of your experiences?

Starting FICO Score: October 2010: TU 498 | EQ: 502
Current FICO Scores:: May 2022: TU: 784 | EQ: 770 | EX: 790
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Credit Card usage after approval

The bank will pull your credit again on or about your closing date. Also I believe the pre-approval is only good for 90 days then they will have to pull your credit again for another 90 day pre-approval.

Good luck and happy house hunting.

TBC

Message 2 of 4
boomhower
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

The bank will pull your credit again on or about your closing date. Also I believe the pre-approval is only good for 90 days then they will have to pull your credit again for another 90 day pre-approval.

Good luck and happy house hunting.

TBC

They most likely will but don't always.  OP, I would avoid it if at all possible.  But if your scores and DTI are solid enough to absorb and you don't have a choice then you don't have a choice.  Using credit during the process is bad for two reasons.(well, using it and letting it report) One, it will drop your score and increase your DTI.  Second, it makes the UW nervous in that you don't have the funds to deal with unexpected expenses which happen with home ownership.  Good luck and let us know how it goes.  If you use it your playing russian roulete IMHO.

Message 3 of 4
Chinadoll
Contributor

IMHO I would NOT use a credit card during the proccess. My LO pulled for pre-approval (October) and then again the day I submitted my application(Feb). I kept my credit card at a $0 balnce and will do so until I Close. Also; your score will increase or drop depending on your usage and your DTI can increase. If you can pay the balance off before it reports for the month to the Credit Bureau then do so; but if you don't forsee paying the balance within a month I would suggest holding off! Any change/pattern in financing can alert the UW and question your ability to pay a mortgage.

Starting Score: TU 654 EQ 599
Current Score: TU 682 EQ 661 EX 688
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.