Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Explanation Letter......PLEASE HELP

tag
SCTeach28
Valued Member

Credit Explanation Letter......PLEASE HELP

I need your help ASAP.  My LO informed me that I needed to write a letter of explanation for 5 accounts on my credit report.  All 5 accounts were while I was in college and I honestly didn't know the effect that bad credit can have on someone.  After I graduated 2 year ago, I paid all of them.  My question is how do I state what I just said in a much professional way.  I worked part-time during some of my college years, but not all. 

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
wealthygirl
Valued Member

Re: Credit Explanation Letter......PLEASE HELP

It's perfectly okay to write it just as you explained in your post, doesn't have to be technical/professional in terminology/content.   I just completed a Letter of Explanation yesterday and merely stated exactly what issues caused the late payments to one of my creditors, what I did to rectify it, and what I plan to do in order to avoid any late payments in the future. 

SAMPLE:

With regard to the late payments to COMPANY XYZ in 03/2009-07/2009, I was unable to make timely payments because of or due to (fill in the blank).   (what steps did you take change situationI took on a second job in order to make extra payments on this account and was able to bring it into good standing by 08/2009.  I was able to pay $$$ extra and...   (what will you do in the future to prevent this from happening again)  I created an account alert to notify me when...

Hope this helps!

Starting Score: 647EQ 625 TU (Sept 09)
Current Score: 728 EQ 724 TU 743 EX(Lender pull)
Goal Score: 850

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 5
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

1. What happened?

2.How did you deal with it?

3. What steps have you taken since to insure that these things do not happen again.

Retired Lender
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have a question about that.  My lates happened during the same time frame. March 08-June 08 and August 08-October 08.  Can I just repeat the explanation for each one or will just one letter explaining the reason behind the lates be sufficient?  I don't want to sound like a broken record in the letter, but it all was due to the same reason. Basically I moved back to FL and couldn't find employment, then got a contract job and then laid off from that.

Thanks!

Message 4 of 5
hawkeye33
Regular Contributor

One explanation referencing both time periods should be sufficient. Don't forget to include something (per Dallas) that gives them a warm fuzzy that you have a plan to prevent it from happening in the future. They want to see that you understand how to manage your money now, better than you did in the past when the lates occurred. Good luck!

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.